Cake Pans

Decorating By tamdan Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 7:37pm by leah_s

tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to making cakes. I wanted to make a 10" cake for my niece's birthday, but have only made 8" cakes in the past. I don't own a 10" pan and going to purchase it. I was wondering if I need to purchase 2 10" pans or can I get by with a 10x3 and fill it up to 2/3 full. I was hoping after filling and icing that it will be approximately 4" tall. Also how much cake mix will I need? Thank you!

7 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 8

Tamdan, Welcome to the passion! yes you can use the one pan, I do it all the time. I torte my cakes thinly to create a 3 layer cake and then with the icing it will give you the heighth you want. If you only want a double layer than be generous with the filling to achieve the height.

Hope this helps!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 8

I like the 2 in pans personally. You don't have to have two, but for me if I am making a two layer cake then I like the easy of two pans. If you only have one pan right now, then just bake, cool, wash the pan, then do it all over again.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with Texas. I prefer the 2" deep pans. In fact I gave away my 3" deep pans because I just didn't think they baked "right."

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 8

Ugh, I just purchased nice Magic Line 3 inch pans. Sounds like everyone on this thread isn't convinced they are the best. When I bought them, I thought that I could do either 2" or 3" cakes in them, eliminating the need to purchase both pans. So my assumption isn't accurate then, right. I've only used them twice with batter for a 3", with fairly good results......

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 8

I got rid of my 3" deep pans. I think you run into less trouble with the 2" pans. There will be less of of the uncooked centers and overcooked sides with the 2".

tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the advices. I think I'll go with the 2" pans. Glad I checked before going out and buying the 3" pans.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 8

I originally thought that whatever I could bake in a 2" I could bake in a 3". Experience (mine anyway) is that it's not necessarily so. 3" of batter is thick and takes a long time to bake, risking the outer edges getting pretty hard, even when baking at a low temp. Using the same amount of batter as for a 2" pan, things still weren't quite right. I suspect it was the heat reflecting from the interior sides back onto the batter. Anyway, I didn't want to waste a lot of cake experimenting and got rid of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%