Baking In A Cornbread/cast Iron Pan

Baking By cake_architect Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 6:33am by scp1127

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #1 of 4

i want to make a texas-shaped cake and i have a cornbread pan (the super heavy cast iron type) but i was wondering, can i make a regular cake (doctored dh mix) in it? should i adjust the oven temp or anything? ya'll are so experienced and smart, i know someone will know exactly what to do icon_biggrin.gif

its kinda like this one:
http://www.thetradingpostoftexas.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2092

i did do some research but people were saying to season the pan first (which i never knew you did for cast iron bakeware lol, i thought that was only for cookware!) or to melt a few pats of butter onto the bottom before adding the mix. thoughts?

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:49am
post #2 of 4

This may be some help... I bake my pineapple upside down cake in a cast iron skillet and it releases perfectly. Your pan was probably seasoned at the factory, but there are plenty of tips on the net for seasoning. My cake is scratch, but it is really just a yellow cake. The cake releases just fine. Some old bundt pans are cast iron so I am sure you will be ok.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:08am
post #3 of 4

thank you for that! i think i may do a trial run just to be sure. btw, i love pineapple upside down cake! is it really better the 'traditional' way in the skillet?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:33am
post #4 of 4

After many recipes, I like Emeril's on foodnetwork.com.. I just get the fresh pineapple already sliced in the bagged salad section. I think the heavy skillet holds in moisture. Even though the cake is very moist by nature, I think it is better. And this recipe is as easy as a box, but the taste is the best I have tried.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/pineapple-upside-down-cake-recipe/index.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%