Need Help With Black Icing!!!!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 5:56am by labmom

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

i have to do a black and white bc stenciled cake for a wedding and i heard the can icing is best for stenciling and then it just occured to me i have to get a really good true black. anytime i've done black before for birthday cakes it has always been kinda splotchy. is it possible to get a good smooth black or should i buy black icing already made cuz i'm down with that lol. if i buy black icing for the stenciling. what brand should i use?

3 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:59am
post #2 of 4

I've heard that Wilton's black icing in the tube works really well for stenciling. Good luck!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 4

you wont need much icing to do the stenciling. Could you not make a small batch of royal and colour it black with americolor black. Just make it to a steel grey as it will darken after a while. Is your cake buttercream or fondant covered?

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:56am
post #4 of 4

if you want buttercream and are going to stencil you can use chocolate fudge (canned frosting) and then color it black. It won't take much to turn black and it doesn't taste bad.

If you want a thicker true black you can purchase a bucket of black buttercream from sams club bakerys. it is about 15.00 and you can get any color that you want.. pinks, greens, reds,.. anything that you want tomake sure is all the same color. It is hard to tint a quantity of frosting and have it all come out the same. the bucket is about 10 # I think maybe more.. but it lasts for a very long time when stored in a cool area (not in fridge!).

hope your cake comes out great...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%