Silicone Molds In China?? Anyone??

Decorating By Cupcations Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 7:41am by Ursula40

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

I know someone thats going to China (Hong Kong), & I was wondering if there are any cake decortaing stores there that sell silicon molds?

They are expensive here so Im looking for somthing cheaper.
TIA

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 5

Hi CC
Just a word of warning - be very careful as to whether they are food safe - i have seen them here (australia) made in chna and they are not up to our food and safety standards
makes you wonder why they are allowed to be imported - but thats another story.
Some plastics are toxic - rather frightening if used with edibles.
Just be wary.
I had to order two from the States last week as i couldn't get them here - yes, they cost more in shipping than what i wanted to pay - but they are FIM and i can use them without that dreaded health risk.

The ole saying
You get what you pay for....rings true in this case - IMO

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Hi CC
Just a word of warning - be very careful as to whether they are food safe - i have seen them here (australia) made in chna and they are not up to our food and safety standards
makes you wonder why they are allowed to be imported - but thats another story.
Some plastics are toxic - rather frightening if used with edibles.
Just be wary.
I had to order two from the States last week as i couldn't get them here - yes, they cost more in shipping than what i wanted to pay - but they are FIM and i can use them without that dreaded health risk.

The ole saying
You get what you pay for....rings true in this case - IMO

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Thanks M for the heads up never thought of that very true! lol you always know the right thing to say icon_biggrin.gif

So I guess the question is for bakers who are 100% sure the molds are safe thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 5

As Bluehue was saying, the food grade silcone molds are generally more expensive. SUcks for the wallet but it is nice to be able to purchase things that are food safe.

Instead of looking for cheap molds, I'd probably save my money until there was a mold I really wanted and planned to use a lot.

Most of the molds I have are either for flowers, either the centers or vieners as well as some shell molds.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:41am
post #5 of 5

There is only one shop that I know of in hK, but they sell mostly imported Wilton stuff, not exactly what you are looking for, more expensive than in the States, because all imported and rents are high in HK

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%