Strawberry Cake For Carving Please!

Baking By Carda Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 4:05pm by stacymoore

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 13

Hi cake gurus,

In a couple of weeks I am making a 3D pirate ship cake for a little boy. I have never done it before, and he wants a strawberry cake. Do any of you have a recipe for a good strawberry cake that holds up well to stacking and carving? I would prefer a scratch recipe, but if that is not available I'll take some sort of doctored mix recipe.

Thank you so much!

12 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 13

I use this one for all my strawberry cake needs icon_biggrin.gif It's yummy and holds up well.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

Carda Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:18am
post #3 of 13

Thanks for that link! I tried it today and it was delicious, but I feel it was a bit too moist for making the pirate ship. It crumbled quite a bit, so I thin I would have a nightmare with icing it.

Is there no recipe out there that has a bit more the texture of a pound cake maybe? Dense and with easy carving. I realise that may mean it's not very strawberry, but that would be okay, I could make it taste of more with strawberry buttercream.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #4 of 13

Have you tried the WASC recipe? I believe they have a recipe for cake mix and scratch cakes. I've read other people saying they used it for carving with no problems.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 13

I normally use a doctored box mix with egg whites, sour cream and instant pudding. It is similar to the "Durable Wedding Cake" recipe. It is perfect for carving. It has that dense pound cake consistency and is super moist without being "sticky". HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Carda Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi4bye

I normally use a doctored box mix with egg whites, sour cream and instant pudding. It is similar to the "Durable Wedding Cake" recipe. It is perfect for carving. It has that dense pound cake consistency and is super moist without being "sticky". HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, that sounds pretty good. Would you mind sharing the recipe in more detail?

Thanks!

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:00am
post #7 of 13

I use a (sifted) box cake mix...in your case, Strawberry. Then add the following...

4 egg whites
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup warm water
1 small package of instant pudding (sift before adding!)

Add ingredients one at a time incorporating thoroughly between each.
I normally bake at a lower temp 325.

Carda Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 13

Anyone use the standard (or above variation) durable cake with a white cake mix but turn it into strawberry? I can't get strawberry cake mix locally. icon_sad.gif

Carda Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:26am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Anyone use the standard (or above variation) durable cake with a white cake mix but turn it into strawberry? I can't get strawberry cake mix locally. icon_sad.gif

Actually, I would like to know that too, as I went looking today and can't find it either.

Ballira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballira Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 13

I'm actually making a cake for my cousin's birthday and she wants strawberry. Soooo hey, I'll give the white cake mix a try and tell you if turning it into strawberry cake works! =3

Ballira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballira Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 13

AOkay, I tried making the cake and it turned out rather well when I added strawberries to it! The only thing is it's best to make sure they're thinly sliced and left on a paper towel or something so they can drain a little or there will be too much excess liquid in the cake.

Ijust folded on the thin slices at the very end after the cake was beaten for the two or so minutes. You can chop them up even more after thinly slicing it if you want so long as you remember to let them drain for a while. I used the box of white cake mix for this simply because my cousin wanted a pink cake, and the white batter was easier to turn pink with just a drop or two of food coloring, but I'm sure it would work with the yellow cake mix, too.

stacymoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacymoore Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 13

try this page.... i came across this a cpouple of days ago...it has some nice recipes..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bouchées/527643350632030

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%