Help!! Smbc Disaster. What To Do With Buttery Egg Whites?

Baking By bakingintheburg Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm by bakingintheburg

bakingintheburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingintheburg Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

Subject pretty much says it. icon_redface.gif I hate to throw out all that sugar, egg whites and butter $$$$. Can I turn it into a custard or pudding or something?

So here's what happened. I had my 4Y0 DD in the kitchen, who was watching, but begging to help. So I was all excited that I got my EW and sugar cooked properly and told her that I would let her put the butter in the mixer when it was time. Silly me forgot to whip the egg-syrup into a meringue first. As soon as the butter hit the mixer I knew it was all over. Ugh. Thankfully I'm not under the gun or anything for a cake deadline. Working ahead several days for my youngest DD's first birthday. Now what do I do with this sugary syrup, with 3 sticks of butter melted in?

5 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 6

So you are making SMBC? How stiff was the mixture after the stove?

Try this: Let it cool down/put it in the fridge.

When it's about room temp or a little cooler put on the paddle attatchment and slowy mix, then throw a towel over the mixture and turn the mixer on high for about 10 minutes or so. It might whip up enough to possibly use on some cupcakes or something.

bakingintheburg Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 6

Well, it wasn't really whipped that much at all, you know, just hot off the stovetop, and then I pretty much let her put the butter right in without thinking (obviously). So the egg whites are cooked at least and the sugar is dissolved. I did try just letting the mixer run for a while last night and it did start to look a *little* bit creamy, but I think that was mostly due to the butter. Not really any volume. I have a feeling it is very dense and pretty much just like super-sweet butter, not really icing. I put it in the fridge overnight. I thought maybe I could turn it into a cake or cookies or something, with or without adding the yolks back in. I mean I know baking really is a science and the order/process is very important so that probably wouldn't work, but w/the price of butter these days, I really hate to waste it if I could at least TRY to save it. Surely I'm not the first person who has done this???? Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to see if I can salvage it somehow.

PS- 3G I really like your siggy. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 6

No, I am sure you are not the first!

If my previous suggestion doesn't work, maybe throw in some cinnamon and use it as cinnamon butter (the eggs will work as higher protein content, too!)

Just don't throw it out. You could probably even use some of it in a cake.

BTW, my 4 y/o DD loves to put the butter in too (I do IMBC). It's so exciting for them!

bakingintheburg Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 6

Ooohhh, that sounds yummy with the cinnamon in there. My kids would love that on toasted bagels. icon_smile.gif Okay, I don't feel so bad now. I'm really glad I didn't toss it. The funny thing is, the last time I made SMBC, I 'scrambled' the eggs and didn't realize it until after I had added all the butter and flavoring in. So yeah, basically wasted. I was so determined not to do that this time around and got so excited when I could tell that I got the egg/sugar syrup part right...oh well. I'll make it again today and get it right this time. icon_smile.gif

bakingintheburg Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 6

Any other ideas??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%