Need Serving Size For 3 Layer Round Cakes

Decorating By kgaff Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 11:45am by katecupcake

kgaff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgaff Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

Can anyone help me find how many servings a 3 layer cake will make for various round cake tier sizes? I need to provide this info for a bride and haven't had success. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

4 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:29am
post #3 of 5

If you're referring to three layers that are 2" tall each for a total of 6" high cakes and they are cut and served the same as 4" tall cakes, the Wilton chart would apply (3" - 6" tall).

If you're providing 50% more cake and they are to be cut and served as such, the Wilton chart would be doubled. You can bake six 1" layers (or four 1.5" layers) and use a cardboard cake circle in between at 3" to make it easier for cutting. HTH.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 5

depends on how you put it together.

Since the surface area (cutting area) is the same, the cake is just taller, so if you are going to serve 1x2x6" pieces instead of 1x2x4" pieces, then you still get 24 pcs from an 8" round that is 4" tall, as you would from an 8" round that is 6" tall. the only difference is they get a taller piece. If you plan it this way, remember to charge 50% more per serving as they are getting 50% more cake per serving. So a $3/serving price becomes $4.50/serving. (If you get more fries in the large container than the small container, mcDonald's will charge you a higher price, right?)

If you assemble the cake with 4" of cake, then a cardboard, then another 2" layer of cake, the 8" round will serve 36: 24 from the 4" cake on the bottom (1x2x4"), then approx 12 servings from the 2" layer of cake on top of the cardboard (2x2x2" pieces).

katecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katecupcake Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:45am
post #5 of 5

Hi guys,

I'm a little late here, thanks for all the links indydebi, I've just started using http://cakeslicer.bakingit.com. Would love to know your thoughts on this one. I'm finding this "cake slicer" app really useful and customers seem to like it too as they can play around with portion sizes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%