Fbct On Fondant Cake??

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm by ycknits

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 11

Well I am back I am working on my first cake order since having my 4th baby in August!

Of course I'm hitting a road block!
I have done FBCT before but my question is can I successfully put it on a fondant cake? AND will it stay on a fondant cake vertically??

What it is is a beer bucket cake and I dont have access to an edible image and they want thy Lucky Lager logo on the side of the bucket....would a FBCT stay put or will it slide down?

Or what else could I do???

Thank you SOOO much!
Its good to back at 'er!!!

Ashley!

10 replies
chinacat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinacat77 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 11

Hi, I have put fbct on fondant before and was successful but only on top. Im not sure if it would stay on the side, if its small....maybe! you could do a test run with a small fbct and lay some fondant over a pan and test it out.

otherwise I would try colorflow. have you done colorflow before?? well it would normally lie flat to dry and takes a couple of days to get solid so make it in advance. but i would let it dry on the side of 'something curvy' think rounded like a cake pan....so it gets that curved form to go on the cake nicely. prop whatever you would use (cake pan etc) up against something and let dry. HTH. I like colorflow because its basically the same as fbct with no surprises at the end. lol!

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 11

Would you be able to explain what colorflow is? I've never even heard of it lol. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

chinacat77 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 11

colorflow is basically like royal icing, its mostly used for decorations placed on cakes, it dries superhard but you are able to achieve intricate details by using small tips...like a 1 or 2 tip. you will just need a container of color flow (witon makes it), different tip sizes probably 1-5 depending on your design and parchment bags (although i have used the disposable deco bags before). so you print your image just like in a fbct but you dont have to reverse the image because you are working on the top of the design. then outline the image using full strength colorflow, then let that dry and fill in using a thinner consistency color flow. its best to let it dry for as long as you can, so i would do it at least 3-4 days in advance. be careful when removing from wax paper, the video below shows how to run it along the edge of the counter to loosen it. it dries to a nice shiny finish. look at my pics, my wizard of oz cake rainbow was done with colorflow. Ill put a link to the technique from the wilton page and a vid from you tube. good luck!
http://www.wilton.com/technique/Color-Flow-Decorations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWxVUgfFzg4&feature=related

chinacat77 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 11

the directions are also in a little pamphlet inside the container, how to mix etc.....when you make the color flow it only requires powdered sugar and water but after you make it up you must keep it moist or it will dry up on you. just put a wet towel over the extra while you are not using it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 11

You can also do the color flow technique using royal icing. icon_smile.gif

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:30am
post #7 of 11

I would make a transfer out of candy melts. It is also called a chocolate transfer. Basically the same method as fbct, but the candy hardens and stays hard. Then you can glue it to the side of your fondant cake with some royal icing. My max & ruby cake was made with this method. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1341345

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:05am
post #8 of 11

i would agree with SweetTater use candy melts it also taste good icon_wink.gif

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 11

Oic icon_smile.gif Thanks!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 11

I love using candy melts for chocolate transfers but, if your image is large, I'd worry about it needing to form to the curved edge of your round cake.

Congrats on baby #4!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 11

mama ash - I've successfully used FBCT on fondant. I did one for my son who wanted a specific logo for his softball team. See photo:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1740616/1740617

This was done during very hot summer weather and my biggest problem was getting the transfer on the side of the cake before it melted. If I were to do it again, I would have put the cake in the freezer for 10 minutes or so and then applied the FBCT.

In anycase, once applied, the FBCT stayed put and kept its shape just fine.
Go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%