Keeping Cupcakes Fresh

Baking By SugarKissesCakery Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm by Takeelah

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 12

I just got an order for 40 cupcakes. If I put them in a regular cake box with the lid closed, will they stay fresh? Do I need to buy one of those airtight Wilton cupcake holders?

11 replies
BakeryNook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeryNook Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 12
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 4:20am
post #3 of 12

Its probably best to store them in an air tight container, depending on when you will be needing them/ decorated or not, in the fridge or the freezer

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 12

I always keep my cupcakes in an air tight container. I got some great ones from the dollar store. They have a humidity control on the top, and my cupcakes still taste fresh three to four days later. I only put them in the cake box when they are leaving. And at that point I recommend to all my customers to get a container to keep them fresh.

luvcups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcups Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

I always keep my cupcakes in an air tight container. I got some great ones from the dollar store. They have a humidity control on the top, and my cupcakes still taste fresh three to four days later. I only put them in the cake box when they are leaving. And at that point I recommend to all my customers to get a container to keep them fresh.

Does the humidity control work? I hate it when my muffins get soggy after a few days, especially the ones with struessel topping. Would love to have a container that prevents that.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 12

I haven't actually tried it with muffins with that kind of toppings, but my regular muffins stay fresh. I made some cake truffles that I needed to stay fresh and not sweat, so I adjusted the top, and fresh truffles, and no sweating. Give it a try!

luvcups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcups Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks!

VCVCCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VCVCCupcakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 12

Can you post an idea of what this carrier with humidity control looks like???? Or a link to where to get some cheap ones?

Thanks
Cathy

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:04am
post #9 of 12

I make the cupcakes at the last possible time. The icing and filling can be made the day before, but baking is done the day of delivery.

VCVCCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VCVCCupcakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I make the cupcakes at the last possible time. The icing and filling can be made the day before, but baking is done the day of delivery.

In an ideal world I think we would all do that... but sometimes that just is not possible icon_sad.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 12

This is my reasoning for the last minute, and I always do it this way. My bakery is an artisan bakery. Even though cupcakes are good for a few days, they do diminish slightly. If we store them, in any manner, they are still good, but not AS good. If you store them, the customer gets a product that is already less delicious than the first day, and the customer doesn't get the opportunity to keep them and enjoy them the few good days, because we already stored them. I know when a cupcake is not freshly baked. I sample bakey cupcakes and desserts every chance I get. They still may be ok, but they are not at their peak. I never want to sell a product that is only good or ok. We all have competitors and this is one more of my competitive edges.

Takeelah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Takeelah Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 12

Some cupcakes taste better the next day, after the flavors have developed and/ or mellowed. I just had this happen w/ champagne cupcakes. In my opinion, they didn't taste good on the first day. They are very good today. So I think there are exceptions to the rule. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%