How Many Layers Of Cake And Filling Do You Use?

Decorating By KellyJo3 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm by KellyJo3

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 8

I was just wondering how many cake layers per tiers does everyone use with filling in between? Do you bake the cake and then cut in half and fill? Or do you just bake for example 2, 8" cakes and just level them and put filling in between? Also does the more layers make the cake less sturdy? I know I should know this already, but I only use 2 layers of cake with 1 layer of filling and I want to add more filling, as I think it would taste better. Thank you! : )

7 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 8

If it's a wedding cake I always torte the 2 inch cake in half and fill it. So each tier of cake has three layers of filling and four layers of cake.
If it's a birthday cake then typically I just have the one layer of filling and two layers of cake. It kind of depends on the design and how it might need to be carved. But a wedding cake is standard for me to torte and fill.
I don't think the more layers make it less sturdy. It would depend on what your filling with though. Some fillings are light and fluffy where as some are more firm.
Also depending on the filling would depend on the taste. If you put a thin layer of buttercream or a really thick layer of a strong fruit filling would make the cakes taste completely different.

KellyJo3 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you very much for the advise : )

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 8

I usually tort and fill two 2" cakes for each tier - so I have four layers of cake.

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:40am
post #5 of 8

Same for me! thumbs_up.gif
And if I want more height I just put 6 layers of cake and 5 of filling.
So that would be three, 2" cakes torted and filled. =]
I think that maybe they are a little less sturdy with so many variations in cake and filling, but if you can get them even and level and if you use a sturdy filling then it's usually not a problem for me. =]

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 6:22am
post #6 of 8

So far I have just used to layers of cake and one layer of filling per tier. I haven't done any torting yet but may try it out on some cakes for family I am planning to make in the next month.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 8

I have 3 layers of cake & 2 layers of fillimg as my "standard" hieght. I do not torte, I level the tops of a 1.5 " layer- after I add the filling layers I end up with a 5- 5.5" Tier

KellyJo3 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone. I think I am going to try more layers of filling, as that is my favorite part. ; )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%