Cereal Treat Covering

Decorating By stello_creations Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm by adamsgama

stello_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stello_creations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

Well I am in the process of making my first cereal treat cake decoration. I will be making a model T car to put on top of my dads 81 st birthday cake. I am thinking about covering it in tinted modeling chocolate but don't know if I should be putting anything under the modeling chocolate. Can anyone help and guide me in the right direction? Or should I try fondant instead? If so should I cover the car in butter cream first?

Tia

4 replies
sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 5

I covered RKT with BC once and it went soggy and I had to start over again!

Now I cover RKT with candy melts/melted chocolate. This provides a beautiful smooth surface. After that dries I rub a little bit of shortening on it to give my fondant something to stick to.

HTH

(I don't use modelling chocolate so I can't comment on that)

shannonBridges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonBridges Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 5

I have made decorations out of cereal treats and I have used buttercream underneath to help it stick. It sticks fine, and we are in a very dry climate so I have no worries about it going soggy. I found though that it is very difficult to get the decoration smooth. Some times I do it better than other. I think I am going to try the melted candy way. Good luck.

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5

I have done quite a few cereal treat figures, and i can tell you that i just put fondant straight onto the treat. make sure you squish the outer cereal so that its not very bumpy, i first wrap it in a thin layer of fondant to make it smooth, then i wrap it in the layer im going to decorate with. I imagine the same concept would work for you. if you stuck a thin layer of fondant to make it smooth, and then used modelling chocolate it would probably work nicely. stay away from the buttercream... it ruins the cereal treat.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 5

Two things. When I make the RKT, I always crush up the ceral at bit so that is a finer texture. Does not leave bumps under fondat. I always cover with Royal icing after the treats dry out a little.

Adamsgama

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%