Those Of You That Make Make 3D Figures...

Decorating By Pagea Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:07am by Price

Pagea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pagea Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 11

I apologize if this question seems dumb icon_redface.gif but I am curious to know for those that make 3D figures if you use toothpicks, spaghetti, etc for attachment. I have viewed some tutorials that didn't use anything and others that use toothpicks or spaghetti (for attaching head to body). I've just started making 3D figures and wondered what was preferred.

10 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 11

Im fairly new to this and I find toothpicks to be better . I think however that as I get better I will use spagetti . I would prefer if everything was edible . At the moment spagetti doesnt seem to hold my figures up , I think I am doing something wrong and they are too heavy . Will be watching this topic . Good luck

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 11

I tried using a toothpick in the teddy bear in my photo album and after he was all the way dry, his head fell off :| I just use water to attatch the gumpaste to its self so far so good, hth

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:06am
post #4 of 11

I've never used spaghetti, just a toothpick, and only for the head to body attachment, not the limbs.

My three figures were sitting though.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #5 of 11

I cut a lolly pop stick in half ( or maybe less then half) And i`ve used that to attach the head.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:36am
post #6 of 11

I like spaghetti. I even use it for flowers

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:50am
post #7 of 11

I've used wire, skewers, toothpicks and spaghetti. I like skewers the best because I can cut them to any size. I like the idea of spaghetti but I find it too fragile, I am, however, not known for being carefulicon_smile.gif

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #8 of 11

I usually build my figure on a skewer (through the entire figure). As the figure dries, I keep turning the skewer so that eventually, when the figure dries, I can just remove the skewer completely.

If you have trouble with body parts falling off, try attaching them with melted chocolate. I find that works really well.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:56am
post #9 of 11

I do what LisaR64 does, except it hadn't occurred to me to remove the skewer - I usually leave it long at the bottom to stick into the cake. This is only if the figure is standing. If the figure isn't very tall or is kind of squatty (like the angels on top of this christening cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1356289 ), then I don't use anything. And I've just discovered the glories of using melted chocolate/candy melts to stick gumpaste or fondant together - there will be no going back after this!

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:58am
post #10 of 11

I'm new at 3D figures myself but the few I have done I have just used gumpaste glue and that seems to work for me so far. I guess it's a personal preference.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:07am
post #11 of 11

I normally use spagetti to help support the neck/head. When I am making figures for children's cakes I always expect that they will eat the figures. I don't want one of them biting down on a toothpick. I always warn the parents that there is a piece of spagetti in the neck.

I rarely use anything for attaching arms other than edible glue.

If I am making a larger figure like a Bride & Groom topper I use a skewer in the center for extra support and the skewer also helps to attach the figure to the top of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%