Need Advice On Storing A Fondant Cake With Berry Filling

Decorating By LeahMarieT Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm by liang037wei2005

LeahMarieT Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 13

My first post!! Hopefully someone can help me. I have an order to create a babyshower cake for Friday. Cake will be a white cake with strawberry filling covered in fondant. I have to decorate it Thursday night for Friday morning pickup.
My question is... If I fill the cake with strawberry filling is it ok to leave it out overight? I know I cant put the fondant in the fridge so I won't be doing that. Thank you for your help!!!!

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 13

fresh berries, jam/preserves/sleeved filling - it makes a big difference?!

LeahMarieT Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for looking. I wanted to do fresh berries and a jam mixture.....

hollys_hobby Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 13

I have done many cakes with a raspberry preserve filling, (I usually make my own, but have used store bought also) I never refrigerate them. I know many people do refrigerate fondant cakes, but I ALWAYS have issues with the fondant becoming soft and sticky and sometimes sliding down the cake as it warms to room temp. (I use MMF)

sugardugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 13

If using fondant, I wouldn't use fresh berries.

Kellbella Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #6 of 13

It will be fine left in a cool dry room overnight.

LeahMarieT Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:27am
post #7 of 13

Thank you so much for your responses!
Question: hollys_hobby - when you say you make your own, do you make your own using fresh berries?

I will try making without fresh berries, thanks so much this solves all my headaches!

I'm a newbie so just learning the ropes... icon_biggrin.gif

platinumlady Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:45am
post #8 of 13

Hey LeahMarieT depending on your humidity in your area & the type of fondant you use .... you can place in frig however, like mentioned above a you can leave it out over night with no problem

hollys_hobby Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahMarieT

Question: hollys_hobby - when you say you make your own, do you make your own using fresh berries?

I use either fresh or frozen berries. I cook them down in water, sugar and a little lemon juice. I then strain the seeds, and add a slurry of cornstarch and water, let thicken then cool. It turns out just like a good preserve. When I am short on time, I use a store bought preserve.

leily Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahMarieT

I use either fresh or frozen berries. I cook them down in water, sugar and a little lemon juice. I then strain the seeds, and add a slurry of cornstarch and water, let thicken then cool. It turns out just like a good preserve. When I am short on time, I use a store bought preserve.

This is what i do too, except i don't strain the seeds. Here is a basic recipe and i just adjust the lemon juice and sugar as needed per fruit (strawberries are already pretty sweet so they dont' need as much sugar)
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2503/raspberry-filling

hollys_hobby Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 13

leily, that is the same recipe I use, but I couldn't seem to find it to link it! THank you for posting the link!

LeahMarieT Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you girls so much! My cake came out delicious with the stawberry filling you listed and they raved about it. I was worried about it seeping out of the cake, but my dam was big enough so it didnt!

liang037wei2005 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 13

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%