Need Advice On Storing A Fondant Cake With Berry Filling

Decorating By LeahMarieT Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm by liang037wei2005

LeahMarieT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeahMarieT Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 13

My first post!! Hopefully someone can help me. I have an order to create a babyshower cake for Friday. Cake will be a white cake with strawberry filling covered in fondant. I have to decorate it Thursday night for Friday morning pickup.
My question is... If I fill the cake with strawberry filling is it ok to leave it out overight? I know I cant put the fondant in the fridge so I won't be doing that. Thank you for your help!!!!

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 13

fresh berries, jam/preserves/sleeved filling - it makes a big difference?!

LeahMarieT Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for looking. I wanted to do fresh berries and a jam mixture.....

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 13

I have done many cakes with a raspberry preserve filling, (I usually make my own, but have used store bought also) I never refrigerate them. I know many people do refrigerate fondant cakes, but I ALWAYS have issues with the fondant becoming soft and sticky and sometimes sliding down the cake as it warms to room temp. (I use MMF)

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 13

If using fondant, I wouldn't use fresh berries.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #6 of 13

It will be fine left in a cool dry room overnight.

LeahMarieT Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:27am
post #7 of 13

Thank you so much for your responses!
Question: hollys_hobby - when you say you make your own, do you make your own using fresh berries?

I will try making without fresh berries, thanks so much this solves all my headaches!

I'm a newbie so just learning the ropes... icon_biggrin.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:45am
post #8 of 13

Hey LeahMarieT depending on your humidity in your area & the type of fondant you use .... you can place in frig however, like mentioned above a you can leave it out over night with no problem

hollys_hobby Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahMarieT

Question: hollys_hobby - when you say you make your own, do you make your own using fresh berries?

I use either fresh or frozen berries. I cook them down in water, sugar and a little lemon juice. I then strain the seeds, and add a slurry of cornstarch and water, let thicken then cool. It turns out just like a good preserve. When I am short on time, I use a store bought preserve.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahMarieT

I use either fresh or frozen berries. I cook them down in water, sugar and a little lemon juice. I then strain the seeds, and add a slurry of cornstarch and water, let thicken then cool. It turns out just like a good preserve. When I am short on time, I use a store bought preserve.

This is what i do too, except i don't strain the seeds. Here is a basic recipe and i just adjust the lemon juice and sugar as needed per fruit (strawberries are already pretty sweet so they dont' need as much sugar)
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2503/raspberry-filling

hollys_hobby Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 13

leily, that is the same recipe I use, but I couldn't seem to find it to link it! THank you for posting the link!

LeahMarieT Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you girls so much! My cake came out delicious with the stawberry filling you listed and they raved about it. I was worried about it seeping out of the cake, but my dam was big enough so it didnt!

liang037wei2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liang037wei2005 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 13

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%