Best Way To Use Impression Mats?

Decorating By maitej17 Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 3:51am by maitej17

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hey Everyone,

I need everyone's best advice on using impression mats, I have a 3 tier tower cake coming up and will need to make stone impressions on each tier. I bought a mat that's the pasticy type material (I know that's not the best way to describe it) but it's not a mat material like the wilton ones and other out there. It's big enough for each of my tiers but here's my dilemma, I use Jennifer Dontz amazing white chocolate fondant recipe, and it does tend to stretch a bit when I pick it up from the mat, so my stone impressions stretch and somewhat get lost. I tried rolling on the mat itself so I could just flip it onto the cake, and it would just not go, I couldn't get it to roll out. I'm scared to make my impressions when it's on the cake since I don't have a deep freezer (I can't even fit my cakes in my reg. freezer, LONG STORY) and can't get my icing as stiff to feel comfortable enough that I won't mush it once the fondant is added to the cake.
Any advice would be DEEPLY appreciated!

Thanks!

7 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 8

An idea..... can you try mixing some wilton fondant in with your reg fondant? I know most people don't like the taste of wilton, but you may can play around with mixing it in your fondant to see how much you can add to make it not stretch as much, without the wilton taste taking over...... hope this helps icon_smile.gif

maitej17 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

An idea..... can you try mixing some wilton fondant in with your reg fondant? I know most people don't like the taste of wilton, but you may can play around with mixing it in your fondant to see how much you can add to make it not stretch as much, without the wilton taste taking over...... hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the reply Kelli,

I just worry about ruining the white chocolate taste w/the wilton taste (yuck!), but it's a definite idea if I can come up w/anything else.

ANYONE else out there have a solution on impression mats and details stretching as you pick it up to cover cake?

maitej17 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 8

Just bumping this, hoping to get more assistance. My cake is due this Sat. and I need some help w/impression mats.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 8

not sure if this will work, roll out your fondant on a mat, then place the stone impression mat, pattern side down on the top of the fondant, flip over so that the stone impression mat is at the bottom remove the other mat from the top, then let the fondant settle for a few minutes before lifting the fondant still on the mat and gently flip over directly onto your cake.

maitej17 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 12:10am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmcake1954

not sure if this will work, roll out your fondant on a mat, then place the stone , pattern side down on the top of the fondant, flip over so that the stone is at the bottom remove the other mat from the top, then let the fondant settle for a few minutes before lifting the fondant still on the mat and gently flip over directly onto your cake.

I will definitely try this...thanks for the idea. I'll let you know how it goes.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 8:06am
post #7 of 8

how did it go?

maitej17 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:51am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

how did it go?

Well, it went OK. I e-mailed Jennifer Dontz herself to ask her advice using the mat on her fondant recipe and she mentioned to try it while it was on the cake, and so very carefully and terrified I did. You can see the impressions, but not w/a lot of depth, and the middle tier I used a different mat (more like bricks) and it came out like dots rather than bricks. I wasn't very thrilled w/the way the impressions came out but the cake overall looks nice and the mom and birthday girl were very happy.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I just hope I can find a better solution for the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%