Tiffany Box Cake Lid?????

Decorating By Susie1230 Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 8:54pm by lanana

Susie1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie1230 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Fellow Cakers!
I am making a Tiffany Box cake for a Shower on Sunday 3/27. I have no idea about how to do the lid for the boxes. Can someone PLEASE email me any tips or tutorial links? Insturctions? THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! <3 hAVE A SUPER DAY!
Susie icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 6

Is the lid going to be on top of the box or halfway off? If it's going to be on top, just make it out of an extra layer of fondant, which you trim where the boxtop ends. If it's going to be halfway off, many people make it out of styrofoam and cover it with fondant.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 6

if you want it to look like the lid is popped open, and you want it to be 100% edible, take a sheet of rice krispie treats (the size of your box), and cover it it fodant the same shade as your box. then use a skewer to prop it open. insert the skewer through the cake and into your cakeboard, leaving some of it sticking out the top of the cake....as high or as low as you'd like to achieve your popped lid effect. then stick your lid on top and push it into the skewer and it will stay "popped" and in place. add tissue paper and that will fill the gaps.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 6

Sharon has an awesome DVD on making boxes that might be in your library: Boxes and Bows from SugarEd Productions!

MissFortunate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFortunate Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #5 of 6

I recently did a Tiffany box cake. I baked a smaller square one layer cake that I placed on top for the lid. I used buttercream instead of fondant and was very pleased how it turned out. Here is the link to the pictures:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1960971/1960974

Good luck!

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 6

i always use a foam core. i cut it 1/2 inch bigger then I cover it in advance: first the topper part of the lid, i elevate this piece of foam core, i always use the shortening can, then i cut the sides of the lid all same size and carefully and using corn syrup as glue, I attach each side making sure they are straight . When my box cake is all covered and ready to be delivered, i put some wooden sticks and place the lid on top of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%