Mini Marshmallows Vs Large Marshmallows

Baking By LiLChum Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 11:57am by LiLChum

LiLChum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiLChum Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
I'm making my first attempt at MMF and was wondering if I could get away with using the large marshmallows rather than the mini ones. I've found that the mini ones are quite expensive for the amount you get in each packet. icon_sad.gif

8 replies
Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 9

yes you can. it doesn't matter you may have to microwave it for a few more seconds but it's all the same. i actually like to use the giant marshmallows when i need lots of colors for accents. i just use 1 marshmallow per color. i buy them when they go on sale and just keep them in the pantry. HTH!!

LiLChum Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:23am
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much! That is great to know! thumbs_up.gif

I had bought some packets of the mini's and they were a mixture of pink and white, so I separated them and the pink ones made a lovely coloured fondant. I need to make some more though because even after 8 packets ( icon_eek.gif ) of mini's I still haven't got enough!

So glad I can use the large marshmallows...and so is my accountant hubby! LoL.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:33am
post #4 of 9

all i use is the large marshmallows lol, i like the consistency better than the minis!

Chonte Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:09am
post #5 of 9

i love the colored marshmallows!! i use the chocolate ones if i need to make black MMF since it will start out brown i can use a lil less black coloring

LiLChum Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 9

Oh wow, chocolate marshmallows! ...so does that give the fondant a nice chocolatey flavour?

I'll be interested to see the difference in consistency now that you mentioned it Cake_architect!

Thankyou for the tips...so far I have found the making of the MMF so much easier than the traditional rolled fondant. I had problems with it drying out, but I have a feeling that the MMF will be a bit more manageable.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 9

I had never thought of using colored marshmallows! Thanks for the tip!

Chonte Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 9

yes it gives a chocolate flavor. i always use Jet-Puffed brand. it's what i grew up eating. they even have a strawberry flavor and a toasted coconut but i don't know how that would work with the coconut flakes. actually that might be a fun experiment....maybe a new texture to play with?? icon_smile.gif

here is a link to the page with all their different kinds of marshmallows

http://www.kraftbrands.com/jetpuffed/varieties/default.aspx

LiLChum Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:57am
post #9 of 9

Thank you, that's great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%