250 Graduation Cupcakes...need Help!!!

Baking By lovinlife11 Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 3:33pm by SweetSouthernBakery

lovinlife11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinlife11 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 8

I am new at baking and I am having a hard time with pricing. I have a order for 250 cupcakes for a graduation party. It is for a girl I work with. I am doing fondant designs on each cupcake. I am planning on doing gerber daisies, a monogram and maybe a 2011. I am making four flavors. I am trying to figure ou another design and I am having a hard time deciding on price. Any suggestions on either???

7 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 8

I think cupcakes are time consuming so I would say nothing less than $20 a dozen depending on ease of fondant design.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 8

For a creme filled standard sized cupcake with a bc swirl and a bit of edible glitter, I get $2.75 each/$30 a doz. Fortunately that's the going price in cupcake shops around here. For SIMPLE fondant decos, I add 25 cents per cupcake.

Frankly, I'd buy the gerbers or punch out a simple gerber-ish design from fondant, ditto on using Tappits for the monogram and date.

lovinlife11 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 8

It seems that the going rate around here is $3. I am posting a few links to some ideas I like. The colors are black and white with the only splash of color being bright colored gerbers. I found these pics that are not necessarily the right colors but similar in design. Am I crazy if I say $1.50 per cupcake?

lovinlife11 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 8

It seems that the going rate around here is $3. I am posting a few links to some ideas I like. The colors are black and white with the only splash of color being bright colored gerbers. I found these pics that are not necessarily the right colors but similar in design. Am I crazy if I say $1.50 per cupcake?

lovinlife11 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 8

I can not get the pics I found to attach...any suggestions??

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 8

As time consuming as they are... id say at least $3 per if its a simple design on top. I tend to charge close to 4... but that's for a pretty detailed topper. icon_wink.gif Around here cupcake with no details on top are around $2-2.50 per

Good luck

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 8

I just did 200 cupcakes for a wedding and as time consuming and a pain in the neck as they are I wouldn't charge less than 2.50 per cupcake especially if your doing fondant on top. I'm from the hills of TN and still say charge 2.50. It's going to take you a lot of time to punch out 250 designs out of fondant. I know you said your new (I am to) but don't undersell youself. Cupcakes are a lot of work and take a lot of time so I think 1.50 is WAY too low of a price. But that's just my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%