How Long Are Cake Balls Good For?

Baking By RedRoxx Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 11:37pm by gregus28

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 10

I am planning on bringing some cake balls/truffles for a party next weekend and I'm just itching to do them now!! How long will they be good for? I can wait till mid-week to do them, but the wait is driving me crazy :p

Yea, you can call me a geek for that.

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 10

They last for months. Since they're completely sealed in the chocolate, they last forever, or at least that's been my experience, and I live in a hot, humid place. I've made them to serve two weeks in advance, but once I had a whole bunch left over so I put them in a dust-free place (but not in the fridge because of the condensation when you take them out) and took one out a couple of times a week and tried it to see if it was still good. They tasted the same for over two months (and I never got sick!). I'd say go ahead!

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 10

[quote="Marianna46"]They last for months. Since they're completely sealed in the chocolate, they last forever, or at least that's been my experience, and I live in a hot, humid place. I've made them to serve two weeks in advance, but once I had a whole bunch left over so I put them in a dust-free place (but not in the fridge because of the condensation when you take them out) and took one out a couple of times a week and tried it to see if it was still good. They tasted the same for over two months (and I never got sick!). I'd say go ahead![/

I need to make several different character ones for an upcoming craft show but i'm afraid to start them this early. If i decorate them and put them in a ziploc bag in a cool place, will they last until Easter?

gregus28 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 10

i saw someone else mentioning on here that they only last 1-2 weeks before going bad?

Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 10

Why don't you make the centers now and freeze them? I always make up a bunch of centers every time I have cake leftovers. Then, when I want to dip/decorate them, I take them out and let them sit for about 20 minutes before coating them (this keeps the coating from cracking). You could start dipping and finishing them maybe two weeks before Easter.

gregus28 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Why don't you make the centers now and freeze them? I always make up a bunch of centers every time I have cake leftovers. Then, when I want to dip/decorate them, I take them out and let them sit for about 20 minutes before coating them (this keeps the coating from cracking). You could start dipping and finishing them maybe two weeks before Easter.

when you say "make the centers" does that mean mix cake mix and frosting? rolled into balls

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:12am
post #7 of 10

Yes, I believe that's what Marianna46 means.

Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks, cheatize, that's what I meant.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 10

I ate one yesterday that had been made for 6 weeks icon_eek.gif It was just as good as the first day. It had been dipped in chocolate and packaged in a little bag during all that time, never stored in the fridge, just at room temp.

gregus28 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 10

[quote="gregus28"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

They last for months. Since they're completely sealed in the chocolate, they last forever, or at least that's been my experience, and I live in a hot, humid place. I've made them to serve two weeks in advance, but once I had a whole bunch left over so I put them in a dust-free place (but not in the fridge because of the condensation when you take them out) and took one out a couple of times a week and tried it to see if it was still good. They tasted the same for over two months (and I never got sick!). I'd say go ahead![/

I need to make several different character ones for an upcoming craft show but i'm afraid to start them this early. If i decorate them and put them in a ziploc bag in a cool place, will they last until Easter?

after the pops are decorated, should they be stored in a cool place (ex: back porch which stays pretty much the samevas outdoor temp) or just in the house on countertop?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%