Dragees... What Size Do You Recommend?

Decorating By leily Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm by leily

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:29am
post #1 of 8

So i got my first order for a wedding cake with dragees on a quilted pattern. But i have no idea what size i should order. There will also be a 3/4" or 1" ribbon around the base of the tier (whatever the bride picks up i gave her those two options for asthetics)
I have a standard quilted impression mat that i'll be using. The pattern is going on a 6" sq and 16" square.
Any help on what would look best?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 8

I always choose pretty large ones, just because I want people to see them and be able to pick them off easily. Just curious, you're putting a 6" on top of a 16"?

leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I always choose pretty large ones, just because I want people to see them and be able to pick them off easily. Just curious, you're putting a 6" on top of a 16"?

How large do you normally use? The 7mm? that just sounds big to me, but i dont' have them in front of me i'll have to order them.

As for the tiers, it's a 6-10-16. The 10 is turned 45 degrees, it won't have the quilt design on it, it's smooth buttercream with dragees randomly placed

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

I think I get the 8mm.

leily Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

Thanks Leah!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8

I'm the opposite... I like the smaller ones. The 4mm ones look really nice and not too gaudy (just my personal opinion).

8mm dragees are huge to me.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #7 of 8

I use the 4mm ones mostly.

leily Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

thanks for the additional comments. My bride brought me a picture of what she was looking for but one thing she did mention was that the bottom looked so busy with the dragees. So maybe I should go with the smaller one.

Oh heck... i'l probably just order both and figure it out from there LOL. At least i have somewhere to start now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%