Dragees... What Size Do You Recommend?

Decorating By leily Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm by leily

leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:29am
post #1 of 8

So i got my first order for a wedding cake with dragees on a quilted pattern. But i have no idea what size i should order. There will also be a 3/4" or 1" ribbon around the base of the tier (whatever the bride picks up i gave her those two options for asthetics)
I have a standard quilted impression mat that i'll be using. The pattern is going on a 6" sq and 16" square.
Any help on what would look best?

7 replies
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 8

I always choose pretty large ones, just because I want people to see them and be able to pick them off easily. Just curious, you're putting a 6" on top of a 16"?

leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I always choose pretty large ones, just because I want people to see them and be able to pick them off easily. Just curious, you're putting a 6" on top of a 16"?

How large do you normally use? The 7mm? that just sounds big to me, but i dont' have them in front of me i'll have to order them.

As for the tiers, it's a 6-10-16. The 10 is turned 45 degrees, it won't have the quilt design on it, it's smooth buttercream with dragees randomly placed

leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

I think I get the 8mm.

leily Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

Thanks Leah!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8

I'm the opposite... I like the smaller ones. The 4mm ones look really nice and not too gaudy (just my personal opinion).

8mm dragees are huge to me.

jammjenks Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #7 of 8

I use the 4mm ones mostly.

leily Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

thanks for the additional comments. My bride brought me a picture of what she was looking for but one thing she did mention was that the bottom looked so busy with the dragees. So maybe I should go with the smaller one.

Oh heck... i'l probably just order both and figure it out from there LOL. At least i have somewhere to start now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%