Diy Wedding Cakes

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 9:02pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:32am
post #1 of 9

Have you seen this? http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/diy-wedding-cakes It is a DIY wedding cake slide show from Martha Stewart. It is so LOL! I love the advice on the yellow tear drop cake, "Order up a fondant cake, plus a bucket of fondant, from a bakery. Add food coloring to the fondant to get the right hues, and roll out into a thin sheet. Cut with various teardrop-shaped cookie cutters, let dry, and attach to the front of the cake with gum paste mixed with hot water."

8 replies
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:46am
post #2 of 9

Just what every bride should be worried about doing the day before her wedding!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:55am
post #3 of 9

She also has a cake where every tier is surrounded by hydrangeas, but nowhere does she indicate that you shouldn't use real hydrangeas because they're poisoneous.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:56am
post #4 of 9

Well, since they are advising you to order a 3 tier fondant wedding cake "from a bakery" to apply the teardrop shapes to, not to mention a "bucket of fondant", it wouldn't really save you any money, so my question is WHY???

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:34am
post #5 of 9

cakemaster2009- thats exactly what i was thinking! all of the cakes start with getting a cake from your bakery- just let them decorate it too!

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:55am
post #6 of 9

OMG! This is the stupidest article/slideshow I've seen in a long time! Seriously, won't the sorbet cakes melt during the reception? Crushed hard candy all over the outside of a cake sounds gross. A person who doesn't normally do cakes is supposed to be able to pipe nice roses off of a template and "glue" them onto a cake without breaking them? Order $400 worth of chocolate panels through the mail? And FYI, if you're going to order the cakes from a bakery anyway, I don't consider them DIY!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 6:43am
post #7 of 9

Here's another beautiful gem of stupidity: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/cake-decorating-ron-ben-israel Sure, every DIY bride has a fondant sheeter laying around!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 9

All your comments were flashing through my head when I saw this last night night, but as my own thoughts! Every cake starts with,"Get a plain fondant cake from a bakery..." "Why not let them decorate it....when would you do it the day of your wedding...how could you save money.....it is not actually DIY....royal icing tracing and glueing is harder than it looks...crushed hard candy stuck to your cake would suck....$400 for chocolate panels is ridiculous,...." my head was spinning and steam was pouring out of my ears! hehehe

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Here's another beautiful gem of stupidity: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/cake-decorating-ron-ben-israel Sure, every DIY bride has a fondant sheeter laying around!

Yeesh, love how they make our job sound like anyone can do it! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%