Coconut Buttercream

Baking By dixiedarlin79 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 7:14am by dixiedarlin79

dixiedarlin79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiedarlin79 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:39am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know of a good coconut buttercream that doesn't have flakes in it? I really want a nice strong coconut flavor also and preferably one that crusts well. I've looked on here and all the ones I have found (which haven't been many) have flakes. Thanks!

12 replies
keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 13

either coconut extract or coconut coffee creamer in place of the milk. Yummy. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 13

This would make a delicious coconut b/c(smbc) I haven,t tried the coconut, but now i am ready to. You could also make american b/c using these ingredients for coconut.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2005/0905/buttercream.html#axzz1GukKbvTf

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 13

I use coconut extract and coconut milk if I need any liquid. Usually the extract does the trick!

dixiedarlin79 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:03am
post #5 of 13

Ok I'll play around with it and try those ideas! I'm not the best baker so I suck at modifying recipes lol icon_rolleyes.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 13

Just one more suggestion...try cream of coconut instead of the milk in your recipe (still use the coconut extract). You can find it in the adult beverage aisle of your local grocery store, but it is not alcoholic.

dixiedarlin79 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:00am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Just one more suggestion...try cream of coconut instead of the milk in your recipe (still use the coconut extract). You can find it in the adult beverage aisle of your local grocery store, but it is not alcoholic.

Ok! Thanks!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 13

I made my normal crusting buttercream recipe (I use SugarShack's) and added the Lorann coconut flavouring until it was the taste I wanted. But be careful, a little goes a long way with this one.

dixiedarlin79 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

I made my normal crusting buttercream recipe (I use SugarShack's) and added the Lorann coconut flavouring until it was the taste I wanted. But be careful, a little goes a long way with this one.

I have looked into those oils and maybe I will try them. I'm still new and haven't found my "go to" buttercream recipe yet so maybe I will try the one you mentioned. I'm trying a french vanilla one out this week that I found on this site. It sounds delish so I hope it works!

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 13

I second using cream of coconut with coconut emulsion (I think LorAnn oils) mixed into SMBC.

HTH and good luck thumbs_up.gif

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 13

Anyone use extract to transform IndyDebi's recipe into a coconut BC?

Also, should I use all shortening you think or butter as well?

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #12 of 13

Update!
Used Indydebi's foolproof BC recipe and transformed it into coconut BC - DELICIOUS!!!!

Replaced milk with mostly coconut milk and a small amount of whipping cream and 1 tsp of coconut extract. Yum.

dixiedarlin79 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 7:14am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Update!
Used Indydebi's foolproof BC recipe and transformed it into coconut BC - DELICIOUS!!!!

Replaced milk with mostly coconut milk and a small amount of whipping cream and 1 tsp of coconut extract. Yum.

Thanks for the update!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%