"stars Cakes" And Similar Simple Designs - Do You

Business By sugardugar Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

sugardugar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 13

I'm talking the grocery-store-type rectangular shell-border star tip everywhere cake. Do you do it?

I do not.
Why? To me that's a grocery store cake and NOT what I want people coming to me for. I am trying to penetrate the Wedding market, not star tip Mickey Mouse (not to mention copyright!) cakes til I get carpel tunnel.

What do you say when custs ask for this?!

12 replies
andreamen1 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 13

you say UMM you can go to walmart for that haha tapedshut.gif

jason_kraft Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 13

If they are willing to pay for it and we have the time to make it, there's no reason to turn down the order.

The majority of our orders are actually birthday cakes with basic decorations (borders, roses, and writing).

miss_sweetstory Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 13

If they are willing to pay the per serving price and there is time, I can't see why not. However, if they are willing to pay the price, why not show them what they could have (pull out the portfolio). They may simply not know what you can do!

SammyDel Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreamen1

you say UMM you can go to walmart for that haha tapedshut.gif



Pretty much.

SammyDel Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

If they are willing to pay the per serving price and there is time, I can't see why not. However, if they are willing to pay the price, why not show them what they could have (pull out the portfolio). They may simply not know what you can do!



Yes this is the preferred, and it's great when they really would rather have a custom created beauty.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 13

We will do them, but last time we quoted one, we never heard from the lady again. I think she was expecting Wal-mart prices since it was a sheet cake, but NOPE. icon_wink.gif

sugardugar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

If they are willing to pay the per serving price and there is time, I can't see why not. However, if they are willing to pay the price, why not show them what they could have (pull out the portfolio). They may simply not know what you can do!




This is what I did and she did end up ordering!

I really don't want to start doing these style of cakes though, so it really got me thinking. Ack!

vtcake Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 13

Do what the customer will pay you for if you want to, otherwise don't knock the star tip! No one is forcing any one to do any thing with any tip.

And what does the star tip have to do with Mickey Mouse?

cakedout Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 13

vtcake- she was just using MM as an example.

When I started out I did a lot of 'star-tip' pics (not character cakes. never did them). As my skills, experience and reputation grew I veared away from them and into more 'custom' designs.

Each baker has to determine what their style is, and doing star-tip cakes was not my preferred style. On the other hand, a friend of mine was the "star cake queen" and could make a picture with stars that looked like cross-stitch! icon_eek.gif

Eventually I just got tired of making the birthday cakes altogether and moved to wedding cakes exclusively.

leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:25am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

If they are willing to pay for it and we have the time to make it, there's no reason to turn down the order.

The majority of our orders are actually birthday cakes with basic decorations (borders, roses, and writing).




Jason, you also offer a specialty item that you can't find at walmart or other stores. Don't you do allergy free type cakes and organic type? (if i remember correctly anyways)

As for me, my personal preference is... no i don't do sheet cakes. I am more than happy to do any shape of cake and use the design concept. I've done the roses and shell border on a 4" tall round/square/rectangle cake before, but i like to think it doesn't look like a "sheet cake" Around here when someone tells me they want a sheet cake, they're really saying i want a "cheep cake" it's not like that everywhere, but i can't compete in price so i just offer something different.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Jason, you also offer a specialty item that you can't find at walmart or other stores. Don't you do allergy free type cakes and organic type? (if i remember correctly anyways)



Correct -- many of our orders are made without eggs, dairy, gluten, soy, nuts, and/or peanuts, but we also get orders from people with no allergies who want something better than what they can get at a grocery store.

Demand for premium party cakes has a lot to do with the affluence of your target area...you will see a lot more of these types of orders if your customer base has more disposable income, after all a couple hundred bucks for a birthday cake is a drop in the bucket if you're paying $20K/year for a K-12 private school.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft


Correct -- many of our orders are made without eggs, dairy, gluten, soy, nuts, and/or peanuts, but we also get orders from people with no allergies who want something better than what they can get at a grocery store.




Same here. The people that have contacted us wanting a simple look, like a sheet cake or basic BC roses look, call us because they are mostly interested in the taste of the cake, and know that they can't get what they want taste-wise from WM or the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%