Using Oil In Recipes With Fruit

Baking By robbynjaye Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm by robbynjaye

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 9

Great morning cc family!

i have an oil base cupcake recipe. All of my cupcakes are perfectly moist and fluffy. But everytime I make my pina colada recipe, they seem to have an oily taste to them.

Does the oil not mix well when using fruit in recipes?

I want to try a european butter with a higher fat content like Plugra and delete the oil. Will the fruit coupled with the fattier butter keep the moisture in the cupcake?

All of your experience is much appreciate!

8 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 9

Since it is possible to replace at least part of the oil in any given recipe with pureed fruit, why don't you try omitting part of the oil if you are using fruit?

robbynjaye Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 9

It would seem like the oil will still be apparent in the cake. It's hard to explain but it's like the oil is bouncing off of my pinapple juice and not blending as normal when cooked.
i think I should omit the oil altogether but I'm afraid the cake will be dry. So i was thinking using a butter higher in fat might work.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 9

I would try omitting the oil first. I don't think your cake could be dry if one of the ingredients is pineapple. My favorite pineapple cake recipe has no fat at all and while it is extremely dense, it certainly isn't dry at all. I've also replaced half the oil in my carrot cake recipe with extra pineapple with no ill effects at all.

robbynjaye Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 9

Ok ok, so it is safe to say any recipe with pinapple doesnt need oil or not MUCH oil? Does that work with all fruits, ie strawberry, rasberry, etc?

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 9

Can you try substituting the oil with Applesauce?

robbynjaye Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 9

I read that it works but I'm afraid it will alter the taste of the coconut and pinapple.

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 9

I use it all the time when i bake and it does not really give it a different taste, just makes it moist. I would give it a try and see what it does!

robbynjaye Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 9

I will. Do you use unsweetend? Also, do you mix it with your butter and egg mixture prior to adding the dry ingredients?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%