Rainbow Help?

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 9

Hello, I am doing a cake this Saturday for a roller skating party. I made a fondant roller skate (flat) and am doing a 12inch square cake. I want to put a rainbow on the top of the cake. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about that? I was thinking fondant strips all accross, or should I do buttercream? I'm thinking the buttercream will be a big PITA with all the different colors. Also, I'm wondering if I should make the whole top a rainbow, or just some of the cake, the rollerskate will have to go on too. Any ideas? This is the invitation I am going off of.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61400560/lets-roll-roller-skating-birthday-party

8 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 9

How about rainbow colored stripes all around the sides of the cake?

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 9

that's an idea, but it's the top of the cake that I'm having trouble coming up with a design to fit the invitation. If I do the whole top rainbow stripes, I worry it will be too busy because I have to lay the rollerskate on top of it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 9

How big is your skate? You could just do stripes in the center, all the way across, but narrower than the skate. So, the toe and the heel overlap the ends of the rainbow.

Whatever you decide to do, I imagine the base color of your cake should not be the same color as the skate.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, I think you have to determine if enough rainbow shows. Try it on paper first. Don't be tempted to make the skate smaller than you had planned, though. I think it would look very nice, myself.

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 9

The skate is white and it's about 7" long and 5" inch. The wheels are red. I had orginally planned on doing rainbow strips of fondant to cover the whole cake ( it's 12" square) and then laying the skate on that. I just worry that will be too busy looking and the skate will get lost in the rainbow.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 9

i kind of like the rainbow-on-sides idea! with the top you could put your skate, peace signs, funky flowers, and rainbow-coloured polka-dots to fit the invitation.

then it's loud, fun, matching, and not crazy busy.

novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novice Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 9

Do an area of rainbow under where the skate will go so it matches the invitation, but leave a section without it to write happy birthday.

Reganlynn Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 9

When you say rainbow stripes on the sides do you mean on the top of the cake but around the outer area of the square and then leave the inside a solid color....not white, for me to lay the rollerskate on?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%