Making A Figure Out Of Fondant

Decorating By sarahsweetcakes Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 11:07am by Kelbag

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am working on the figures for a Nightmare Before Christmas cake for a friend. I'm trying to make Jack and I'm having trouble. What is the best approach to do this? Should I make him in seperate pieces let them dry then piece it together? This is my first time taking on a cake like this, it's mostly just practice, but I want to do the best I can.

6 replies
Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:19am
post #2 of 7

How I do my figurines is make the body, arms and legs attached...depending on how it will be displayed. I use a skewer through the entire body to support it and leave enough room for the head to be put on. I the place the figure on styrofaom until dry. If I do the body seperate from the limbs then I let them dry first as the weight of the figure will squash the legs....does that make sense??

HTH

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 7

There's some figure making tutorials here:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:48am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

There's some figure making tutorials here:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Doris!

If you're making figures out of fondant, mix some Tylose of Gumtex into it to turn it into gumpaste - helps it dry harder and faster. And build up the body parts like Tor1985 mentioned so they don't sag and droop into one another.

But, the easiest way, at least for me, is to make figures out of modeling chocolate. You can build the entire figure at once all together, it is easier to mold and blend seams with and dries/hardens right away. I just love working with modeling chocolate!

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7

Jack has very skinny arms and legs. If I was going to attempt it I would definitely make him out of gumpaste and not fondant. Gumpaste will dry much harder. Because he is so thin I think I would make him from one piece except the head and hands because they will have to be white. Post pictures and let us know how it turns out Good luck!

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:40am
post #6 of 7

It's tricky for me because the only thing I have at my disposal is fondant. I'm new to Germany, and havent figured out where to find the tylose or gumtex, we don't have it at our comissary, so I have to try to find it at a German store. I'm thinking maybe I'll make him sitting down on the cake, then I wont have to worry about his legs being sturdy enough to hold him up.

Kelbag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbag Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:07am
post #7 of 7

I made 'Bertie' Badger complete out of fondant without Tylo or gumpaste added and he seemed to harden nicely over 2 days and attached his head, arms and legs with a little bit of water. I also think it depends on the size of your figure. Sorry the only picture I have is of him packaged up ready to go with a cupcake order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%