Does Baker Provide Florists Supplies?

Business By imanah Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm by CWR41

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:32am
post #1 of 3

Quick question. I have a wedding cake that the bride is having fresh flowers put on.

The florist told her that the baker (me) would provide whatever container the fresh flowers get placed in that would be placed in the cake.

I have never heard of such stuff. How am I to know her arrangement or quantities?

How do you guys deal with it. I would just tell the mom of the bride that it is the florists responsibility to arrange the flowers and use her own supplies.

2 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 7:22am
post #2 of 3

Hello!

I guess it depends - if it's a specific topper design out of flowers that the bride wants then the bride get the florist to make it. They are basically a smaller version of the centerpieces. It's left for me at the venue, I lay a sheet of rice paper down to make sure nothing comes in direct contact, and I put it on the cake.

But if it's putting flowers on the cake to match my design then I come prepared with holders, floral tape, wires, wire cutters, scissors, tiny straws, rice paper, extra icing etc. Bride has hopefully ordered enough flowers for the design they've commissioned from me, and the Florist just provides loose flowers based on my design. I don't want anyone else touching my cake after I deliver it, especially to add stuff that is inedible and poisonous. Remember, it's your butt if your cake makes anyone sick, so it's really in your best interest to handle the flowers on the cake.

Make sure you have something in your contact that addresses fresh flowers, especially the poisonous part, and check out you tube for basics in flower arranging. It's actually really not that hard.

Jen thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanah

The florist told her that the baker (me) would provide whatever container the fresh flowers get placed in that would be placed in the cake.

If they are truly going "in" the cake, they are probably referring to using fresh flower cake spikes which are available at Wilton:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=8F4FB5D8-1E0B-C910-EA7EA032AAE54B0C&killnav=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%