Baking In Pyrex

Baking By Sam_paggers Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm by Sam_paggers

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 14

Apologies, i know this has been discussed as it popped up in the search feature but wouldnt find/open the forum post!

I am making a round cake next week, it will be 2 pieces fixed together to make a knitting ball cake. I just wanted to know if there were any hazards/tips/positives about baking in pyrex?
Do i still use my flower nail as a heat core..as the base of the bowl is flat enough to place this but will it still work in pyrex?

Thanks
Sam
xxx

13 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 14

Google is your friend. You can read the horror stories about the dangers there.

Sam_paggers Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 14

Google is no longer my friend...i am deathly scared of pyrex now!!!!

Although most explosions seem to occur in older pieces that are more likely to have cracks/chips/scratches. I have a new bowl, however i am aware that this doesnt rule out damage in transit and in the store i am fairly certain it isn't 'damaged'. The science of it also suggests an immediate change of temprature is largely responsible.
Perhaps if i cook in the oven 5minutes less than required and then transfer to the grill (whilst off), as this is sat onto of my over so the temprature will be signifcantly less but not cold enough to be room temp.

I am a hobby baker so cannot jsutify buying a new round tin. Has anyone else baked with pyrex and had any good/bad experiences??
Is it worth it? Any suggestions for alternatives?

xxx

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:02am
post #4 of 14

I have used a pyrex bowl for a boob cake and it came out ok. i have baked other foods in pyrex bowls and nothing has happened, so far.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:34am
post #5 of 14

I have also made several boob cakes using pyrex bowls with no problem

AdeleP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdeleP Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:42am
post #6 of 14

I haven't had any problems baking this way so far.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:56am
post #7 of 14

I've baked in pyrex bowls lot's of times & my mom before me & in bowls we've had for years. I always tend to cook mine on a lower heat, say 140 -150c, so that it cooks through as it's such a depth.

I also put a pyrex bowl, with water in, in the bottom of my oven when I cook cakes & I've never had one of those break either. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:48am
post #8 of 14

I've used pyrex to bake several times. I use the flower nail and bake at about 160 C. I am very careful about the surfaces that I put the bowl on to avoid sudden temp changes to the surface of the bowl.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 14

I bake in pyrex bowls and use the flower nail. I have never had a problem doing so. I wish you luck with whatever you decide. Happy Baking!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 14

Put your flower nail through a little circle of baking parchment - will help with a quick release & clean up!

h_rob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h_rob Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:42am
post #11 of 14

I would use the wilton sports pan for a yarn ball instead!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:54am
post #12 of 14

I always use Pyrex when I bake its great & safe as long as you don't put it through shock that is sudden temperature changes for example taking it out of the oven & putting it on a wet cloth or on/in anything cold, & don't ever use it on stove top

Sam_paggers Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:56am
post #13 of 14

thanks all, this was what i was looking for! some reasssurance that the thing wont blow up!

I am confident i can keep temprature changes to a minimum and will have a go later this week! Should any disaters happen, I'll let you know icon_razz.gif

Sam
xxx

Sam_paggers Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 14

hey, just to let you know..... i baked my cakes in the pyrex and everything turned out perfect!!
thanks for the advice
xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%