Icing Help Please ? :(

Baking By Necey Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm by cheatize

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 5

I have been using bunnywoman's buttercream icing recipe for 3 yrs. and it was always beautiful and even looks like fondant when I use the paper towel method of smoothing..my problem is for the past several months, my finished cakes, when iced ,have the look of wrinkled leather or uncontrolable cracking all over the surface ..it looks terrible !! I don't know what I could be doing wrong...I am so frustrated !! Wedding season is on it's way and I already have orders for almost 20 cakes ...yikes !
I would so appreciate any answers any of you wonderful sharing folks have for my dilemma..thanks so much icon_smile.gif

4 replies
fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

What's in that recipe?

I use indydebi's crusting buttercream recipe, and I know if I wait too long to smooth it out, it cracks. I wait until it's just barely crusted and then smooth it out.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

Sometimes cracks are an indication that your board isn't sturdy enough.

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your replies ...I will try both suggestions and let everyone know how "tomorrow's cake" turns out icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

Back off on the amount of meringue powder. I have that recipe, too, and if it's too dry around here, I have to remove some of the meringue powder.

Your board is another possibility.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%