Steamed Cake

Lounge By tajmaj Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 2:46am by anxietyattack

tajmaj Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:37am
post #1 of 3

hi, i'm new to this site and i'm not sure if my issue has been discussed..

i'm making steamed rice cakes and i'm having problems with excess water on top of my cakes. my steamer has 2 layers, those on top look fine after steaming, but the batter that i put on the bottom layer usually get excess liquid on top. i've tried putting cheese cloth to absorb some of the steam but it sags overtime and touches the batter.

any idea on how to minimize (or eliminate) the excess water (from steam) on top of my rice cakes?

thanks in advance.

2 replies
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 3

I have never heard of this technique. But I know when steaming things in a steamer generally something is placed between the top and bottom layers. Could you possibly use lettuce or cabbage leaves to reduce the moisture from the top layer. I am just guessing here. I am just trying to come to a logical answer based on something I don't know anything about. I wish I could be of more help, but I really don't know what technique you are using and to what end.

anxietyattack Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:46am
post #3 of 3

what kind of steamer are you using? I am chinese and my grandmother has a bamboo steam tray that she puts in her rice cooker. Could you need less water?

Quote by @%username% on %date%