Kosher Cakes And Cupcakes?

Baking By FairyTwinkletoes Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 2:01pm by Bluehue

FairyTwinkletoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyTwinkletoes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, I am new to posting on the forum but have spent a bit of time on the site icon_smile.gif I am an aspiring cake decorator and have been asked if I can offer kosher cakes and cupcakes by several people recently.

Being Jewish, I know that I should have more of an idea of what I need to do.. but unfortunately I've never kept Kosher and I don't know much!

The ingredients I use are:

Wilton gel colours
Bakels fondant (apparently Satin Ice is Kosher and I can purchase that)
Bakels choc ganache
Bakels cake mixes
Royal icing
Sugar glue
Decorations.. like sugar hearts, stars, silver cashous

I live in Australia and was wondering if anyone know is any of these are certified kosher and, if not, what other alternatives might be.

As you might have noticed, I am more of a decorator than a baker.. hence all the ready made products!

Thank you so much,

Melanie xx

2 replies
pamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamama Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Melanie! I keep kosher and the first question you need answered by those requesting kosher cakes is "how kosher." Meaning if you use your oven for non-kosher items as well, that may be a problem for them. "Certified kosher" would mean someone form a kosher supervisory organization wold come and approve all your products. That would be a big ordeal so I doubt they mean that, but you should check. Now in terms of cake mixes I am not familiar with the one ion your list but Duncan Hines is definitely kosher and some Pilsbury and Betty Crocker are too. Do you get those in Australia? If not, or if they are more expensive you could always ask someone local who keeps kosher if they are acceptable. I make Royal Icing- the Wilton meringue powder is the only one I know of that is kosher. What's sugar glue? And sugar decorations- if you make them you just need to make sure all the ingredients are kosher, if you buy them the need to be certified kosher. HTH!
Esther

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 3

Hello Melanie...
I know this site "Baking Pleasures" sells many Kosha produts
Here is one as an example
http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p762/merckens-peach-candy-wafers

Perhaps you could contact them and ask if certain things you use are Kosha.

They are very helpful and offer a great customer service.
Hope this might help you

Also - if you contact Bakels nd Wilton direct -they will help you on product enquiries.

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%