Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson...

Decorating By hrnewbie Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 4:39am by Unlimited

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #1 of 4

Feels like my head is spinning like a crazed robot tonight!

So I'm making a cake using dummies for an event in 4 weeks and need to start working on it now because I'm slow and just getting started. The cake I've designed is pretty simple and but I need your advice on the media that would be most appropriate as I'm not really able to work it all out yet.

The cake is a simple 3 tier cake (14", 10", & 6") with minimal decorative piping on the tiers and lots of beautiful flowers all over it. I have to start working on the flowers this weekend, whether in RI or gum paste, in order to get it all done.

The core of my issue is what to use for the icing. Im a BC girl through and through. If I had all the time in the world Id even make BC flowers too and spend the day before finishing it all up, but thats not possible. Instead Im going to need to cover the cakes at least 3 days in advance and then spend 2-3 days finishing the details, attaching flowers, etc.

So I think I have 2 options: use BC for the icing and attach the RI flowers (are they likely to soften/melt?) or cover in fondant instead and use gum paste flowers. (Will they soften?)

As you can see Im a mess and Im in over-analysis paralysis at this point. Any help you can offer would be incredibly appreciated.

3 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 4

Covering dummies in fondant is really not that complicated. You can get the foam wet (spray it, quick dunk, rinse under running water) and the fondant will stick beautifully.

You can then do fondant, gumpaste or royal icing flowers.

If you want the look of BC on the dummies, you can frost in RI and then use fondant, RI or gumpaste for the flowers.

HTH
Kristy

cake_whisperer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_whisperer Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:31am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Covering dummies in fondant is really not that complicated. You can get the foam wet (spray it, quick dunk, rinse under running water) and the fondant will stick beautifully.

You can then do fondant, gumpaste or royal icing flowers.

If you want the look of BC on the dummies, you can frost in RI and then use fondant, RI or gumpaste for the flowers.

HTH
Kristy

Great advice!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrnewbie

Im a BC girl through and through. If I had all the time in the world Id even make BC flowers too and spend the day before finishing it all up, but thats not possible.

Why is it not possible? If you're a BC girl, why not do what you're most comfortable with? If you need to start working on it now, BC on a dummy will hold up just as well as other mediums and might take less time too. You can definitely start making BC flowers now so they have time to air dry. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%