Tutorial On Making People?

Decorating By usmdesigner Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 4:05am by leily

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 11

I was trying my hardest to look for video's or sites that show how to make people models and wasnt coming up with much.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to make figures (gumpaste, modeling chocolate, whatever). I'm interested to learn how but it is the technique on how it is all done that I'm wondering.

Questions like:

Is the whole body made then the clothes made separate? Do you just make the section like "short sleeve shirt" and then fit arms to it?

Stripes on little shirts, is that added on? Painted?

I was thinking of doing Phineas and Ferb, so I was wanting to find something more specific and detailed on how models are made. Not just "take a ball for a head, now put a square for pants and cut it to make it look like legs". That's about the most I could find for a model, just a general figure. The rest of it was animals.

I'm more interested in finding people tutorials and different styles of clothes and things.

10 replies
joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 11

Here's the link from cakecentral: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099-tutorials.html

Did you try searching Youtube? There are hundreds!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 11

I have watched several videos on you tube. You might want to try there.
Also, search clay figure videos (don't just think edible).
You can find all sorts of tutorials out there for using FIMO clay.
Even craft stores have those 12-20 ish page how to books for just a few bucks when you use a coupon.

Other than that...
Play around and trying different techniques is the best advice. What works for one person vs another might be completely opposite things.
Personally I would do the clothes separate from the body. Someone else will prob disagree. I understand that its nice to have "somewhere" to start though.

Good Luck and Have fun!

usmdesigner Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 11

thanks!

i'm mainly doing google searches and also hitting the video link, but i'm pretty sure it is my wording that may be incorrect and also why i cant find those "100's", lol

Cakesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesue Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 11

I have been where you are and got no answers anywhere. It was like a closely guarded secret so I'll tell you what I do and you can take it from there.

I do the pants first with a skewer thru it making sure it will support the figure when inserted into cake. Either in sitting position (tooth pick goes thru bum or standing toothpick thru one leg. The pants give you the per-portion for the rest of the body. Let dry slightly because the layers above can slide down and then squish your work. If standing (after drying then add feet or shoes. let dry just a little 1-2 hours. If you use half modeling choc and half gumpaste . Then make shirt. Short sleeves- Make in one piece for body. Create well impression in bottom of shirt so it sits longer than the top of pants. Put pieces of tooth pick in arm places then make sleeves and attach with vodka. Then add arms to sleeve with a tooth pick that is through the sleeve attach with vodka. Wrap cuff around the arm and sleeve again with vodka. Support arms in position until completely dry. Cut toothpick to hight that would be inside the head attach and cover with collar to cover seam. This is brief but I hope it helps. I taught myself thru trial and error, error, error, heheh I think I'm better now. At least my customers think so. One trick make sure you embellish each layer with zippers pockets and such before you add the next layer. Also bend the arms and legs with a skewer to create the creases at the back of legs and crotch or elbows of arms. I will tell you the hardest part to master are the hands and face. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

usmdesigner Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 11

Yes that helps a lot cakesue. Thanks for the post!

I haven't been able to look anything up yet, but I think I know what my next problem will be, and that is what to make it out of.

What recipe do you guys make yours out of? It's hard to see so many recipes on the web, but then to not really know which one will actually work.

Has anyone ever used fondant and mixed Gum-Tex in it to do models?

Cakesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesue Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 11

I've used both. The 50/50 modeling paste and fondant is one I like because if I'm in a bit of a rush I can put it in the freezer for 5 minutes so I can go onto the next step also I have more open time to get some details pressed into the item. Sometimes I use fondant (because of the color mixed with gumpaste. Gumpaste sometimes cracks easy so I have to be careful when I use just that.

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 11

usmdesigner: Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread as I'm ALSO doing a Phineas and Ferb figure set. I have a friend who wants a P & F cake for the 19th. If I come across anything useful, I'll PM you on here.

Cakesue- thank you for the info- gives me a great place to start. I'm going to start practicing tonight! icon_smile.gif

usmdesigner Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:48am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakesue

I've used both. The 50/50 modeling paste and fondant is one I like because if I'm in a bit of a rush I can put it in the freezer for 5 minutes so I can go onto the next step also I have more open time to get some details pressed into the item. Sometimes I use fondant (because of the color mixed with gumpaste. Gumpaste sometimes cracks easy so I have to be careful when I use just that.

I was going to try the Gum Tex with fondant just to play around, but I am just unsure of how much is enough. Because I honestly wouldn't be applying gum tex to the full amount of fondant, as I would want to break it apart, color it (because of things like needing just a tad bit of brown hair) and then apply the gum tex. Seems awefully technical when it comes down to how much is enough.

usmdesigner Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFailla

usmdesigner: Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread as I'm ALSO doing a Phineas and Ferb figure set. I have a friend who wants a P & F cake for the 19th. If I come across anything useful, I'll PM you on here.

Cakesue- thank you for the info- gives me a great place to start. I'm going to start practicing tonight! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Jen. I have until November for the phineas cake, but with the last 3 I done, I waited until the week of before I started on them. I'd like to try to get myself more motivated on this one. But I'm sure I'll have to do some more before then and would probably like to start incorporating models.

I'm really ready to finally get to the point where I know my recipes and don't have to worry with that type of stuff. Just coming up with a new idea for a cake. It is so frustrating being new to this stuff. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:05am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

You can find all sorts of tutorials out there for using FIMO clay.

Along with searching Fimo Clay, also search Sculpey Clay and Polymer Clay tutorials. The process is all the same, you're just using different materials.

Also check out polymerclaycentral.com My SIL used to do a lot of clay work and went to those forums a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%