No Direction At All Help!

Decorating By drkangel200 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 3:25am by j0z1e

drkangel200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drkangel200 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:21am
post #1 of 14

Alright...I need help! I have NO idea where to start with the cake. They didn't tell me what they wanted. They just gave me a bunch of random facts about the birthday girl.

The cake is for 30-40 people. I'm using a 10" and an 8".

These are the random facts I got:
She's 12.
Her Favorite colors are bright blue,bright orange, and bright green.
She's into pop music.
Her favorite singer is Lady Gaga and the song "born this way"? lol
She plays on a Softball Team
The teams colors are Orange and Navy Blue
The balls are Bright Yellow not white....
She likes music.

The ONLY thing I can think of is to incorporate A music staff with notes on it that are her favorite bright colors. I'm lost!
HELP! icon_sad.gif

13 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:08am
post #2 of 14

I'm glad this is not my order!

Can you make a reasonable facsimile, or even a caricature, of Lady Gaga in chocolate or gumpaste? Put her in a softball uniform with the team colors and holding a bright yellow softball? Keep the idea of the music staff circling the perimeter of the cake with the notes you suggest...

Good luck with this cake.

Jan

drkangel200 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 14

I've never worked with gumpaste or anything like it. I do simple/elegant cakes. First they wanted a one tiered baseball themed cake which was easy because I could just turn it into the field with some bats and balls around the sides.
And then they changed it to a two tiered and told me all these incoherent facts.

I'm so lost.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:14am
post #4 of 14

I'm sorry, I just don't know what else to suggest. Perhaps someone else will post an idea for you.

Maybe one tier baseball and the other music? I don't know how you could tie them in together. I can understand your dilemma.

Once again, good luck. They sound like they might be a difficult to work with. Maybe they will change their minds again??

Jan

drkangel200 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #5 of 14

I appreciate your help icon_smile.gif
Thank you for responding!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:35am
post #6 of 14

I will ask my daughter for you in the morning as she likes all of that, other than Lady Gaga ( we don't allow that in our house). She just turned 12, loves those colors, plays softball, and loves music.

drkangel200 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:14am
post #7 of 14

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO much Jaimelt76!!!
You and your daughter are life savers!!!

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:20am
post #8 of 14

For the music staff, could the circle parts of the notes be softballs in the bright colors, with the tails being the same colors?

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:34am
post #9 of 14

I think it is so much harder to come up with things without specifics. I had to do a cake for a job audition, and all they said was make a sample 2 tier cake. I know we all hate demanding customers, but I'd rather know exactly what they want instead of guessing what they might like! icon_smile.gif
Anyways, being 12, I'm sure she would be happy with whatever you come up with. I think the bright favorite colors with the baseballs turned into music notes around the side would be plenty for her. Maybe do her name in stars on the top? Or maybe find the chorus of the song and pipe some of the lyrics around it? HTH

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 14

Ok, My daughter was not much help this morning(preteen drama). I won't tell you what she said about Lady Gaga though. She really likes this cake by Rebecca Sutterby over on Flickr and said it would look cool in those colors. The nice thing is the yellow ball will look cool with the bright blue, green, and orange. Good Luck and Sorry I was not much help to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sutterby/3167785395/

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 14

I did a softball cake for my niece. You can see it in my gallery if you are interested. Her softball team has a website where I was able to download an emblem that I replicated and also see what their uniforms look like and so on. I made the cake the shape of a baseball diamond. Maybe you can just incorporate some musical notes around the side or stuck on wires coming out of the top or something. Her team's softballs were also yellow icon_smile.gif

Another thought. Just because they gave you all those ideas doesn't necessarily mean they want you to incorporate all of them does it? Maybe just stick to one theme?

Hope that helped a little at least. Good luck. Hope we can see pics when you are finished!

mayhem68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayhem68 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 14

My 12 year old daughter loves to decorate cakes and has even entered a few contests and won a couple of them. So, I asked her what she would make if she was asked............so, here is her idea.

Make a topsy-turvy type cake with a softball sitting on the bottom layer and the top layer sitting on top of the softball. Make one layer bright blue, one layer bright orange and put bright green circles on the bottom layer that had stitches like softballs. Make bright green music notes to put on the second layer. And make a chocolate piano to sit on top of the top layer. (She hates Lady Gaga, so she said the piano was enough of a reference!)

She is a pretty adventurous decorator, but this was her suggestion!!

drkangel200 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:09am
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all the really great suggestions everyone!

Ok. So I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I can make this cake cute and not look like a highlighter or the 80's lol And I'm pretty happy with this idea. Lemme know what you guys think.

Have the bottom tier's background color be white. Around the perimeter of the cake have a musical staff with bright green,orange, and blue musical notes. Brush sparkles on the colored musical notes.

Have the top tier's background be white. On the top In blue quote the Lady Gaga song and say "we're all born superstars" and have bright green, orange, and blue sparkly stars.

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #14 of 14

I think that sounds fantastic! Awesome plan icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%