Sculptured Face - How To Get A Smooth Finish

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 12:00pm by Cher2309b

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 12:37am
post #1 of 5

Help please!!! I've sculpted a head in fondant with CMC (Tylose) over a polystyrene ball. The surface is very rough from adding bits and trying to smooth in. Any ideas on how to give it a smooth surface please? I was thinking of rolling out a thin layer of the fondant/CMC plus Platinum Paste to lay over the head; would this work? Or, is there something I can paint over it? I thought of RI but I think this would also leave a rough surface.

4 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:04am
post #2 of 5

When I have made items out of gumpaste, which is essentially what you have, I have occasionally smoothed the surface with fine sandpaper. It has to be perfectly dry. For best control, I tear off just a little piece of the paper and use my forefinger to apply. You can also use the fine side of an emery board. I hope this solves your problem.

Jan

Cher2309b Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much Jan; I'll give the fine sandpaper a try. Need to let it dry again since I corrected a few bits this morning with extra fondant.
All the best,
Cheryl

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:47am
post #4 of 5

Your idea of re-covering it with a thin layer of fondant is a good one. I do that quite often with sculpted faces, to give them a clean, smooth look.

Cher2309b Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Lisa. I'll see how well the sandpaper works; it's certainly helped the parts that I've used it on so far. Other parts need more drying time. If I'm not satisfied then I'll have a go at adding a layer of thin fondant.
Regards,
Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%