Thoughts On Serving Raw Egg

Baking By mamacha Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 3:56am by sugardugar

mamacha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacha Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! Newbie here! I am planning on baking a cake for my friend's baby shower and she requested for chocolate cake with chocolate filling. I found a recipe with great reviews that calls for raw egg yolk in the frosting. What are your thoughts about serving frosting w/ raw eggs in it ESPECIALLY at a baby shower? Would it be ok if I just omit it? TIA

7 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 8

Hmmmm! Without the recipe it would be hard to say if it could be omitted. I would run as fast as I could away from that. As children have been born over the ages we have all eaten raw eggs(as our Mothers bakes and we licked the bowl and/or beaters), but I wouldnt want anyone sick on my behalf. List the recipe and I am sure that you will get a better answer.

HTH!!!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

Honestly I wouldn't do that but what about a swiss buttercream which cooks the egg whites but you can add cooled chocolate to the finished buttercream to make it chocolate.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 8

I have never used raw egg myself, but I will tell you that after being served a pc and was then after told it had raw egg it made me cringe. Id ask her if that's ok with her.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 8

mamacha, don't use anything with raw eggs, especially for a baby shower. I'm sure we all have had raw eggs before, but I wouldn't want anyone to get sick, especially not the mother-to-be. Hard to know though, without seeing the recipe.

There are plenty of recipes out there that don't use raw eggs in the frosting and are as delicious.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 8

The old and the young (including the unborn) are most succeptible to the problems with raw eggs. I am a cake batter lover, but I would never serve raw eggs to people I did not know or people who did not know there are raw eggs on the recipe. My key lime pie is only baked for ten minutes, my favorite eggnog recipe calls for raw eggs, and I grew up on raw eggs in milkshakes. And none of these are offered in my bakery. Of all the recipes out there, I'm sure you can find something more appropriate.

mamacha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacha Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the feedback! Gonna start looking for a safer recipe icon_smile.gif

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #8 of 8

personally, with all the alternatives out there, i just don't feel it's worth the risk.

GL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%