CiNoRi Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:43am
post #1 of

Ok is is me (I'm assuming so! icon_wink.gif ?

Whenever i use white chocolate melts it NEVER coats and nicely as the Dark/milk Chocolate ones do. As soon as i dip and start to tap off the exess, a completely smooth cake pop starts looking lumpy and wrinkly. I have tried, more oil to thin it, less oil, hotter chocolate and cooler chocolate.

Any suggestions on why this is happening?

18 replies
motherofgrace Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:27am
post #2 of

nope lol, i have never had a problem lol

Frecklysmom Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:48am
post #3 of

I have the same problem. I have always used the white almond bark so I thought that was the reason. I even added a little shortening as I have heard it helps but that didn't make much of a difference. The other thing I wondered is if the pops were too cold making the chocolate set up too quickly. My next plan of attack was to try the Wilton candy melts instead of the almond bark.

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:50am
post #4 of

Hurm, maybe try real white chocolate? I have never had luck using candy melts at all (and think the flavor of the white tastes nothing like real white chocolate). Anyway it's much easier for me to work with butter and cream then it is to mess with crisco and oil.

You candy melts can also be old, check the expiration.

Better luck,

Jen

Frecklysmom Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:57am
post #5 of

Thanks, Jen! I will try that.

Bluehue Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:06am
post #6 of

Hmmmm, maybe you are causing a rippling effect across/around the cake pop when you tap it to get excess off.
What if you dip - then just hold the cake pop still above the bowl for about 10 seconds and let the excess *just drip* off........... perhaps.


Bluehue

scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 8:20am
post #7 of

I agree on using real chocolate. I used pink candy melts last weekend for the first time to write "BOWL FOR THE CURE" across a donation cake. I used the 1.5 inch letter molds. The melts were lumpier and needed to be tapped down unlike my experience with real chocolate. I don't mean there were lumps, but it seemed to want to start to solidify as soon as I took some out of the pot for the molds. But, for my letters, they worked fine.

CandyLady Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:13pm
post #8 of

don't forget you can flavor your candy with candy oils...I love the marshamallow because I also hate the taste of white chocolate.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:47pm
post #9 of

I have the same issue... I think it might be that the chocolate is being overheated.

Stephy42088 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm

Maybe you are getting some water in your chocolate? Even just the condensation from the cold cake pops can cause that effect in my experience. Cake pops are such a pain lol

DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:32pm

I recently had the same problem with white coating. I've made HUNDREDS of cake balls with white, dark and every other shade with no problem.

The only difference with my recent batch is they were not made with chocolate cake. They were made with butter pecan cake. Other than the cake flavor, my method was exactly the same as it has always been.

I tried dipping them chilled, dippiing them at room temp, thicker coating, thinner coating, spinning, tapping, no tapping --- nothing worked! I'm just as stymied as you all are.

whisperingmadcow Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:33pm

I had my first cake pop's experience last night with some girlfriends.who had never made them before either. I would agree that the white chocolate coating was a bit more lumpy then I expected. Also by the time we were finished decorating the pops, the chocolate had started to crack along the edges (We were trying to make baby blocks.) What causes that? I figured maybe we dipped the pops well they were too cold? Do cake pops 'settle' like a regular cake?

Sorry, I am not trying to take this thread over. I just have some related question...Thank you in advance!

whisperingmadcow Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm

I had my first cake pop's experience last night with some girlfriends.who had never made them before either. I would agree that the white chocolate coating was a bit more lumpy then I expected. Also by the time we were finished decorating the pops, the chocolate had started to crack along the edges (We were trying to make baby blocks.) What causes that? I figured maybe we dipped the pops well they were too cold? Do cake pops 'settle' like a regular cake?

Sorry, I am not trying to take this thread over. I just have some related question...Thank you in advance!

DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:55pm

The coating will crack if the cake is too cold. Can you be more specific about where the cracks occurred? Which edges?

whisperingmadcow Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm

Well, we had shaped them into small cubes. Most of the cracks were along the edges of the cubes, on the bottom sides.

dawncr Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I agree on using real chocolate.




Yep.

Warning: Choco-snobbery ahead.

I dislike *all* melts/summer coatings. I get disgruntled when melts/ summer coatings are labeled as "chocolate." I'm also not a huge fan of white chocolate. I thought I didn't like any white chocolate until I accidentally tried some Green & Black's. It's excellent, though ivory colored with vanilla bean specks. I've found that El Rey brand chocolate tends to make thinner coatings than other brands, but I usually only use dark or semi-sweet, so I'm unsure about the consistency of their milk or white choc.

Disclaimer: Just my preferences, and it's one of the few foods or things I'm snobbish about. I'll buy clothes from WalMart, and generic food brands for most things. But chocolate....that's a whole different level.

Of course, the cost can be prohibitive, so I don't eat or make them very often. That's probably a good thing for my thighs!

sugardugar Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:32am

I just double dip them icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:57am

speaking of the cracking..I followed the instructions of letting your cake pops warm up just a tad, when taking out of freezer so they aren't too cold for the chocolate to crack..SO, I dipped mine today and they were great, BUTTTT,,I was also told to not put them in freezer once, dipped,,just keep out for room temp/ refridgerate..SO,,I left them to dry up at room temp and as they looked soo beautiful..cracking occurred a 1/2 hour later I noticed!!!!!!!!!!!!! So,,after I followed all of the dang instructions on how to properly,,I still get the cracking and NO, the cake pops were NOT extremely cold when dipped and my chocolate was cooled down a little prior to dipping so my pop won't break.. So frustrated..AND I do add some shortening to chocolate for a smoother dip,,so could the shortening cause this?? OR what else?? I don't understand,,and so I dipped them AGAIN and it helped,,but why on earth does this happen in first place after all I explained?? I LOVE doing these,,but hated the outcome with cracking..errrr icon_cry.gif

tryingcake Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:58am

I don't have a problem with it not sticking - I don;t like how it yellows after drying hard. And not even a prety yellow - a dingy stale color... yuck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%