Pizza Ovens To Bake In?

Business By KakesbyKris Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 2:24am by MimiFix

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

I have looked at a CK to rent today that has a gas oven and stove and a pizza oven. It is 6 feet tall and has four ovens. I wish I had taken pics. I have never used one and do not know if they would be good for baking cakes. The kitchen use to be a store front bakery so I assume they used the pizza ovens for baking?

Any information or advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated. TIA

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 6

Is it *really* a pizza oven, or are they just deck ovens?

KakesbyKris Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

Ok forgive me as I am just going off what the owner said it was. Let me describe it.
about 6 feet tall, 3 feet wide with 4 doors to ovens that were about a foot tall. Gas oven. I looked up 'deck oven' and although this one is pretty old it is the
same design concept, so I guess that is what it is.

That's good, right? Do cakes bake differently in it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 6

Deck ovens are pretty normal. Usually have separate top and bottom element controls. I've only baked in electric deck ovens, though. Bakes just like a regular oven. For some reason, we always put an upside down sheet pan on the bottom of the deck and then put our cake pans on the sheet pan. I don't really know why, and no one ever asked.

Pizza ovens are designed to run very hot and may only be temp adjustable in a narrow range.

My partner from culinary school got a great deal on a rental of a closed pizza place. He had to bake cakes with the oven doors open to regulate the heat. Srsly.

KakesbyKris Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 6

Good to know!

I am leaning toward renting this place over my other option. I think I will take a day and just "play" bake so I can figure out how well it all works.

Thanks for the reply!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

Pizza oven is just another term for deck oven. My bakery had three gas deck ovens stacked fairly high. They are excellent, well-insulated, and you'll be quite happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%