Even Placement Of Decorations On A Round Cake?

Decorating By katjo Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 12:18pm by Emmar308

katjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katjo Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:35am
post #1 of 12

I'm trying to figure out the best way to measure/mark a round cake so that the decorations I add are even? In other words, I want to put diamond-shaped fondant pieces around the sides of a round cake. How do I figure out the exact placement so that I don't end up with diamond that's not whole? I hope this makes sense! Thanks!

11 replies
kaytkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytkat Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:47am
post #2 of 12

I have not done this myself and it sounds a bit annoying but I am thinking this is a possible way. Get the circumference of the cake. Figure out the approximent size of the diamonds you want to make. Measure what the widest part of the diamond is, the center. Divide the circumference by that number and see how much you get. Round to the closest whole number. Take the circumference and divide by that number you got and that will be the size of the diamond(the centers) and the whole number will be how many you need. I hope that made sense hehe icon_smile.gif

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:00am
post #3 of 12

Kind of what katjo said, but maybe easier.

Make a rectangle out of fondant that has the length equal to the cakes circumference and the width/height that is equal to the height of the cake. If you already know the number of the diamonds you want on the cake, then just cut the rectangle into equal secondary rectangles. Then cut out diamonds from those rectangles.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:02am
post #4 of 12

I've taken a string and wrapped it around the cake, make sure you know where the string meets, then fold it in half, continue folding in half until you get the width of the diamond you want to use and that length would be the measurement from center to center of your diamonds - or the edge of one diamond to the edge of the next diamond.

katjo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:57am
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the tips. Who'd have thought this could be so complicated!!!

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:13am
post #6 of 12

icon_eek.gif Now we know why we took all those math courses in school & wondered when we would ever use it all! icon_lol.gif

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:09am
post #7 of 12
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:25am
post #8 of 12

That's one of the very few Wilton products I have, I use and I like! It makes placement of embellishments on a round cake Easy!

katjo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 12

I guess I should have paid closer attention in geometry class! Thanks again, everyone!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 12

I bet something like this folded paper trick would work. I Just saw this posted on another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....ure=relmfu

peta0707 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peta0707 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 10:51am
post #11 of 12

Its very easy, make a template of your cake with baking paper, trace around bottom of tin and cut out. fold template in half then in half again. now open out and your template will be divided into quarters. you can fold again to make eigths if you have more decorations to place. now place the template onto of your iced cake and place decorations until you are happy with them, you can make position through baking paper with a small pin prick if necessary, remove baking paper template and attach fondant decorations.

This method can be used for side of cake aswell, just make a long strip of baking paper the same circumfrence of cake, then fold in half and in half again

hope this helps

peta

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 12:18pm
post #12 of 12

My cake turntable has markings on it, showing eight even points around the cake. I'd had the turntable for about a year before i noticed this icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%