Alcohol In Syrup And Pearl Dust?

Decorating By utrwong Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 7:39am by utrwong

utrwong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
utrwong Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:28am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I was searching the forum for advice on using alcohol in cakes but for some reason the link to for forum topic "Using Alcohol in Cake" gives me Error 404 - Not Found. So I decided to start a topic since I have a question pertaining to this.

I have not attempted to brush syrup on cakes, so I'm thinking this is going to be my task for this weekend. In the Cake Boss book, Buddy mention you could add liquor in the syrup to enhance the taste, but he advises to not use the cheap stuff. So my question is - does syrup or syrup+liquor greatly affect the taste of the cake? Or is the main purpose for syrup is to keep the cake moist if you're not going to decorate the cake right away? Also, will the kidos taste the alcohol if I ue a bit of it in the syrup? Buddy say to have a "stronger" taste one can use 1/2 cup of liquor... icon_eek.gif

I have been using Wilton's pearl dust, and on the package it said you something about mixing vodka + pear dust will enhance the shine. Has anyone tried this? If so, will the taste of the alcohol stay on or will it evaporate when the alcohol dries out?

Advice would be greaty appreciated for this new baker/decorater icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:22am
post #2 of 9

I use syrup about half the time, depending on what cake I'm making. I hate dry cake, and although the recipes I use are moist, I'll use it to make sure they stay that way. You don't need to worry about children consuming the small amount of alcohol that they'd get from a piece of cake with alcohol-based syrup - you would have to seriously soak the cake in alcohol for it to become an issue. If you simmer the syrup with the liqueur already in it the alcohol cooks off anyway.

utrwong Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:40am
post #3 of 9

Ooo thank you! Do you have any recomendations for type of liquors to use? I was going to go look at some top shelf vanilla vodkas because I would think that would complement a yellow cake. How much would you personally use? Is 1/2 cup too much if it is just for adults to nibble on? I don't have my Cake Boss book on me, but I believe he say 1 tablespoon optional besides the 1 part water, 1 part sugar and bring to a boil.

I seen some forum post that say use Everclear + pearl dust if you want to dust your cake. Would the same flavor liquor from the syrup do as well or is that just too much of one flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I use syrup about half the time, depending on what cake I'm making. I hate dry cake, and although the recipes I use are moist, I'll use it to make sure they stay that way. You don't need to worry about children consuming the small amount of alcohol that they'd get from a piece of cake with alcohol-based syrup - you would have to seriously soak the cake in alcohol for it to become an issue. If you simmer the syrup with the liqueur already in it the alcohol cooks off anyway.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:51am
post #4 of 9

You will not flavor anything when you're using alcohol mixed with pearl dust. It dries very quickly. Use the cheap stuff when mixing with the dusts.
I use clear lemon extract...mainly because I like the scent...but it dries very fast too. Everclear has the highest alcohol content. I used to drink that with grape juice at college parties...my how times have changed! icon_biggrin.gif

utrwong Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:00am
post #5 of 9

haha, Everclear it is for pearl dusting then. I haven't bought Everclear in awhile but I believve it is cheap.

Any good recomendations for syrup or should I just find one that might compliment the cake. My friend likes vodka (and he is of age), so I was thinking a vanilla flavor vodka for a chocolate and vanilla stacked cake. But no cheap stuff because you want the flavor, right? I read chocolate/coffee liquors are great for chocolate. I like to hear some great responses. i can't wait to try this syrup technique out icon_smile.gif

kimmerly1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmerly1966 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 9

I use Vodka all the time with my dusts, it works great and no one has ever said they could taste the alcohol! GOod Luck!

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:52am
post #7 of 9

I would personally never use alcohol in/on a cake unless it was requested. Especially if i knew children would be eating it. As someone who does not eat/ drink alcohol I would be very put off to find out it was used In a cake I ordered. I understand that the alcohol evaporates when using it with dusts but when there are other options, like extracts, alcohol should be avoided.

cairocats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cairocats Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 9

I personally have not had any alcohol for 27 years, so I would find it difficult to put vodka in/on a cake. So is lemon extract the way? If so how much do you mix with the pearl dust?

utrwong Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:39am
post #9 of 9

Well I try to alcohol in syrup. The recipe Buddy uses is 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, dissolve sugar in water and boil until you no longer see the sugar crystals. If you want to add alcohol, add 1/4 liquor of your choice in the recipe. I honestly did not taste much of a difference. There was a faint vanilla taste: no alcohol taste at all. But then again, that could be my tastebudys already knowing there is a vanilla taste in the syrup. I used it on my cakes: the stayed really moist and added extra flavor. However, none of my friends can taste the difference in the cakes. They think it is the same cake.

Tonight I redid the receipe with Godiva Chocolate flaor vodka. This time 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup liquor, boil until sugar dissolves. I can definitely smell the chocolate in the syrup and it tasted great. I just put some on my chocolate cake. Hopefully I can tell the difference between simple syrup and liquor flavor syrup. Will post again soon and see how it goes.

Are there are any other recipes for syrup or is 1 part sugar, 1 part water the general recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%