Any Suggestions On Stand Mixers For My Home Bakery!!!

Business By robbynjaye Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm by robbynjaye

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone!

I need some help, and FAST! I'm so torn on which stand mixer to purchase. And i need to purchase today to get it by the weekend. I'm torn b/w KitchenAid and Viking. I would love a 7 qt but KA only makes 6qt and smaller. I also hear Cuisinart is good. The only problem with Viking I see is the fact that it doesnt mix batters at the bottom of the bowl, thats a problem! Please give reasons with your suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!!! I really have a headache over this icon_cry.gif

15 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 16

In my world, it's a KA 6qt Pro all the way. Love the shape of the bowl, easy to scrape down and it has a handle.

I like the fact that's it's a lift bowl versus a tilt head and I have both.

Depending on what kind of volume you are going to be doing, I can't imagine there being much more than a 4 cup difference icon_wink.gif (yep, that's my smarta$$ side showing) between the 6qt & 7qt.

When my volume at home increased I found having a 2nd bowl and whip to be a huge help.

robbynjaye Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 16

That is very good advice misslisa! Thanks so much!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 16

I love my kitchen aid for home baking icon_biggrin.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 16

I have a 6qt KA Pro and love it. However, I just received the latest copy of Entertaining Magazine from Cook's Illustrated and they ranked Cuisinart 5.5qt above the KA. Reasons given were that "this machine offers a hoste of modern updates including a digital timer with automatic shutoff and a splashgard attachment with a built-in feed tube."

The prices they quoted were $299 for the Cuisinart vs $399 for the KA.

I frequently refer to Cook's Illustrated for test results and recommendations and value their input immensely. I have to admit that I would LOVE to have a timer/auto shutoff on my KA!

bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 16

I know this isn't one of your original options, and for some reason, I don't see a lot of people mentioning them on CC, but I am a disciple of Bosch Universal Mixers. You can get attachments/accessories to blend, food process, grind wheat (yes, the motor is that strong), knead bread/fondant, etc. My grandmother's lasted 40 years of homemade bread-making (actually, it's still going; she's just not). I'll never use anything else. Seriously- look into it.

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 16

In March 2008, Cooks Illustrated chose the Cuisinart as a better machine. It was at the end of one of their videos, the one that showed you how to make their fluffy yellow cake.

Yes, the timer is a godsend. Plus, a lot of people feel that KA's quality has gone down the drain. They're not the same machines from before the 80s.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 16

I got my Cuisinart about 8 months ago and love it. I do like it more than the KA. I also researched the Viking and while it is very similar to the Cuisinart, they had a variety of negative customer reviews primarly on the functionality and servicing of the mixer. I will also say that the Cuisinart bowl is not exactly optimal but neither is KA.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 16

I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE my 7qt Cuisinart.

I just did a TRIPLE batch of the WASC recipe. Filled that puppy to the top of the paddle and it worked like a charm.

The timer feature is great. The splash guard was included and for the price it was a much better deal than the comparable sized KA. I still have my old KA for smaller batches but the Cuisinart is my fave.

HTH
Kristy

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfab

I know this isn't one of your original options, and for some reason, I don't see a lot of people mentioning them on CC, but I am a disciple of Bosch Universal Mixers. You can get attachments/accessories to blend, food process, grind wheat (yes, the motor is that strong), knead bread/fondant, etc. My grandmother's lasted 40 years of homemade bread-making (actually, it's still going; she's just not). I'll never use anything else. Seriously- look into it.

I have the Magic Mixer by Electrolux - very similar to the Bosch - and I LOVE it for cakes, breads, cookies, buttercream, everything. I used to have a KA, but got tired of it overheating and trying to walk off the counter. I'll never use anything else either.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 16

Has anyone with the Cuisinart mixer ever used the kneading attachment when making MMF?

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 16

I use the kneading attachment to make bread, lots of it. Never made MMF, but if the other mixers can handle it at less than 500 watts, the Cuisinart 7 qt has 1,000 watts and the 5.5 has 800 watts.

I've made fondant, but not MMF, and I knead fondant by hand.

CGoguen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CGoguen Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 16

I love my KA. If for no other reason, go for a KA for thier dependibiliy. People are known to have the same KA still working in perfect order 20+ years later. You'll likely replace in that time, but not because it is not working, but because a newer better model is out.

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGoguen

I love my KA. If for no other reason, go for a KA for thier dependibiliy. People are known to have the same KA still working in perfect order 20+ years later. You'll likely replace in that time, but not because it is not working, but because a newer better model is out.

Yes, the 20+ year old ones are really good, they'll never break.

The new ones, not so much...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

robbynjaye Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm
post #16 of 16

WOW! All of this information helped me make an informed decision. After researching and reading current reviews, I just purchased the Cuisinart 7qt! Thanks to you all for your advice icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%