Topsy Turvy Opinions Please

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm by erin2345

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing my first TT for this weekend and am "winging it" (not following a specific and measured recipe). I have the following cakes made: (4) 9" rounds (each about 1.5"), (2) 6" rounds (each about 2"), and (2) 4" rounds (each about 1.5"). I don't care if each tier is not exactly the same height as the other, just as long as I have the general look of the TT technique.

My question is, looking at the picture, do you think that my proportions are okay? Or should I only put 3 layer in the bottom/largest tier? I can tort the 6" and 4" rounds to make those 4-layer tiers, too. I do plan on doing a **slight** taper from top to bottom of each tier, but not as dramatic as some TT cakes! So, I don't think I need much height as waste height for carving.

Opinions!!?? Thank you! icon_wink.gif

ETA: Hmmmm, it's not attaching my pic! Let me try again. . .

Argh. No luck. Here's a link:

Image[/code]

3 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 4

It looks like you may not have enough difference between your top tier and the middle tier to do the carving where the upper tier will sit without compromising the strength of the one below it.

In other words, you may need to carve so much width out of the middle tier to fit the top tier in that the sides of the middle tier will crack.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 4

I personally like the look of a tall topsy turvy cake. I use 3 layers of each size. I think using 4 layers on your bottom layer may look out of proportion.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

I would take your top tier cakes and flip them .... so the smaller ones are on the bottom. When you carve the cake and it is bigger at the top, it looks even topsy-er! I watched a great video on you tube before attempting my first topsy turvy (in my pics) and it helped ... search 'topsy turvy cake' and it is the first video.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%