Laying Fondant On Crumb Coat

Decorating By EvArt Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm by BCo

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 18

What in the world did I do wrong??

This was really bad on my first topsy-turvy cake and led to big problems. When I laid my fondant on my crumb coated cake tiers it was "mushy" underneath.
I was working with my layers partly frozen in order to carve them for the topsy-turvy effect. Then I crumb coated and immediately (or shortly after) covered the tiers with fondant. Actually it was even longer because I didn't add the fondant until I had both tiers carved and frosted.

I'm using a good buttercream that crusts well. I've run into this problem a couple of times though where the frosting underneath the fondant stays mushy.

Also, since it goes with this, what consistency frosting do you use to crumb coat? An older friend (Old school cake decorating) said pancake batter consistency....??

Any tips please??
And thanks in advance!!

17 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 18

Sounds like your cakes had too much time to thaw which created a lot of condensation.

Here's how I do it...
Cover room temp cake with spackle (70/30 mix of icing to cake crumbs), the consistency of soft buttercream. If it's too stiff to spread, I'll nuke it for a few seconds.

Freeze cake for at least 30 minutes until spackle coat is rock hard.

Cover with fondant.

As the spackle thaws, the condensation helps the fondant adhere to the cake. BUT, the cake itself is not frozen, so there is not an excess of condensation.

Hope this helps!

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you Diane, I will try the spackle idea next time!

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 18

I've never heard of the spackle method, does it help to make the cake look smoother?

DianeLM Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

I've never heard of the spackle method, does it help to make the cake look smoother?

It works for me. See for yourself --
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1527946
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1831192
http://family.webshots.com/photo/2561611390053175376xYBiui

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 18

Toba Garrett has a great spackle recipe.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 18

My Christmas bell has a layer of spackle between the fondant and cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923362 . It was the easiest cake I ever covered.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 18

i posted pics of an ugly cake fixed with cake spackle in another post:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-665482-.html

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 18

DianeLM,
Your cakes are amazing... so flawless. What kind/brand fondant do you use? I have so many issue with my fondant work. I Spackle the cake and it looks very even before I start with the fondant the fondant never comes out right!

DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanci

DianeLM,
Your cakes are amazing... so flawless. What kind/brand fondant do you use? I have so many issue with my fondant work. I Spackle the cake and it looks very even before I start with the fondant the fondant never comes out right!

Wow, thank you! icon_redface.gif I use mostly FondX. For colors, I use Satin Ice. I usually have to 'doctor' the Satin Ice, tho. Either add tylose because it's too loose or knead in a little shortening because it's too dry.

Do you use a bench scraper to smooth out your spackle? I spend about as much time spackling my cake as I would if I was covering it with buttercream.

Do you freeze your spackled cake? I leave it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes until the spackle coat is rock-hard. That way, I don't disturb the smoothness while I'm applying the fondant.

You might also need to roll your fondant a little thicker to get better results.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 18

Someone already asked my question!

Diane your cakes are lovely!

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 18

What is the recipe for "spackle"? how much frosting to cake crumbs? I really want to try this, especially after seeing how beautiful Diane's cakes are! Thanks everyone for this post, it's something I had never heard of before, I always learn something new on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

What is the recipe for "spackle"? how much frosting to cake crumbs? I really want to try this, especially after seeing how beautiful Diane's cakes are! Thanks everyone for this post, it's something I had never heard of before, I always learn something new on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

How to make spackle is just a few posts back.

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 18

I put the cake in the fridge instead of the freezer maybe that is where I'm going wrong. I spread my Spackle with a spatula.... it looks pretty even when I'm done with it. But I think my problem is when I'm working with the fondant... I use Marshmallow fondant and it gets dry so fast. I will try your methods and see how it goes! Thanks so much for your response!!

DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 18

I spread my spackle with a spatula. Then, I smooth it with a bench scraper. Then, go over it again with a Viva paper towel.

Yeah, the frig isn't going to give you the same results as the freezer.

I have never used MMF, so I can't guarantee any of this will work for you.

The nice thing about having a frozen surface to work on is, you can work really fast without worrying about squishing the cake.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 18

So it's just a spackle layer and then fondant on top of that? No need for buttercream or anything else? I think I have to try this soon icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

So it's just a spackle layer and then fondant on top of that? No need for buttercream or anything else? I think I have to try this soon icon_smile.gif

Yep. When I started doing it, I polled my people to see how they liked it. They didn't even notice it. It's mostly icing, so it's as if the cake crumbs were dragged into the icing when the piece was cut. My cakes usually have three layers of filling, including a buttercream layer, so no one is getting cheated out of their buttercream. icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Yep. When I started doing it, I polled my people to see how they liked it. They didn't even notice it. It's mostly icing, so it's as if the cake crumbs were dragged into the icing when the piece was cut. My cakes usually have three layers of filling, including a buttercream layer, so no one is getting cheated out of their buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much - your cakes are so pretty! I like to work with my cakes semi-frozen on the outside when applying fondant so this should work out well! I'm just looking to achieve that nice crisp edge around the top! And as a lover of all things buttercream that's good to hear! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%