Attaching A Cake To A Fondant Covered Cake Drum

Decorating By nanefy Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 6:49pm by nanefy

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I am making a 3 tiered birthday cake for Saturday and want to cover my board in fondant today so that it's dry for Friday when the cake will be assembled. My question is how do I attach the cake to the fondant board? I know people use carpet tape when attaching directly to the board, but what about on top of fondant? In my mind I'm thinking royal icing might work, but I need it to be super super sturdy for transporting. I much prefer the look of a board covered with fondant before the cakes are put on rather than putting the cake on the board and going round the sides with fondant, plus I just think it looks much neater.

Any hints or tips would be great.

Thanks.

4 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 5

I would think royal icing. I've heard some people use melted white chocolate, preferably candy melts.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 5

I always use a cake board on the very bottom of the cake, pipe or spread a zig zag of royal icing on the fondant covered cake drum, then place the cake tier on top. Make sure to be careful when positioning the cake because once the cardboard touches the royal icing it is pretty much glued within a minute or so and cannot be moved or adjusted. Your cake won't budge once the RI is dry!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

I always use a cake board on the very bottom of the cake, pipe or spread a zig zag of royal icing on the fondant covered cake drum, then place the cake tier on top. Make sure to be careful when positioning the cake because once the cardboard touches the royal icing it is pretty much glued within a minute or so and cannot be moved or adjusted. Your cake won't budge once the RI is dry!

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 5

perfect, that's just what I needed to know. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%