Help!! Fondant Too Soft And Sticky

Decorating By andlydle Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 11:53am by andlydle

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:09am
post #1 of 8

I make my own MMF- I use Rhonda's ultimate and rarely have any problems. I was trying to start making the tools for my son's tool box cake and discovered that all my MMF is too sticky and soft (probably the consistency of silly putty instead of the usual play-doh).
I'd really prefer to salvage the MMF instead of making new as I'm not sure what went wrong and all 4 batches that I made last week are like this. Plus my kids are 7 mo and almost 2 yr, so my time isn't endless.
I tried using powdered sugar to roll it out and had no luck. Would putting it in the fridge help at all? Can I just knead something into it? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

7 replies
SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 8

I've never worked with MMF before but you might try adding more powered sugar to it. Or if your making tools and not trying to ice the cake you might try some tylose powder to make it into a gumpaste. When I'm trying to mold something I have a container that has 1/2 tylose and 1/2 powered sugar and sprinkle that onto my fondant to make it a little more stiff. HTH and good luck with your cake.

andlydle Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:33am
post #3 of 8

would gum tex work?
I do have to cover the cake- but fortunately I haven't made that batch of fondant yet. I actually have 2 cake next week, so I'm trying to get all the accessories done this week

andlydle Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:35am
post #4 of 8

oh, does the fact that it's raining this evening make any difference? if so how do I combat that?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:00am
post #5 of 8

Yes, rain, heat, and humidity all affect it. Gum-tex will work, too. Just add a little at a time and wait a few minutes after adding it to give it time to work. Otherwise you may add to much and it will be too stiff to work with.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:18am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andlydle

I make my own MMF- I use Rhonda's ultimate and rarely have any problems. I was trying to start making the tools for my son's tool box cake and discovered that all my MMF is too sticky and soft (probably the consistency of silly putty instead of the usual play-doh).
I'd really prefer to salvage the MMF instead of making new as I'm not sure what went wrong and all 4 batches that I made last week are like this. Plus my kids are 7 mo and almost 2 yr, so my time isn't endless.
I tried using powdered sugar to roll it out and had no luck. Would putting it in the fridge help at all? Can I just knead something into it? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

When you made it, did you let it rest over night? I usually wait till the next day before I use it but try to knead more PS into it.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:51am
post #7 of 8

I just started makin MMF using Rhonda's recipe and I have made many batches. I have found that each time I made it required a little amounts of PS. I think If it is too sticky you can add more PS until it is the consistency you need. I just make a pile of sifted PS and put the fondant onto it and knead until it's not sticky anymore. It's so tempermental but sounds like you need to add more PS. I would start there and you might be able to salvage this batch!

Also I have never let mine rest, I make it and use it within a few hours...never had any trouble

andlydle Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:53am
post #8 of 8

I always make it in my kitchen aid so it does all the kneading for me. I actually let the batches rest longer than usual this time. I made them last week and didn't try to use them til yesterday. I'll try the gum tex later today and se if that doesn't fix my problem. thanks for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%