What Do You Do When You Have No Inspiration?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 12:12pm by Jennifer353

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #1 of 6

My stepmom just asked me to make a cake for next Saturday - she's having a get-together. She wants two flavors, so it has to be a two tiered cake. I'm just getting over being sick, so have little energy to do something too labor intensive. I just cannot think of anything to do.

Do you have any "go-to" designs? Ones that are relatively simple and not tied to a birthday / baby shower / etc. For whatever reason, my mind is just blank.

5 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 6

Just go the the gallery of photos here and you'll find inspiration.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:17am
post #3 of 6

Stripes and polka dots are easy and classic. Add a bow and it would be perfect for any occasion.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:38am
post #4 of 6

Buttercream flowers?

Some simplified (than this) quilled flowers - I think this cake is really pretty http://cakecentral.com/gallery/837443

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 6

I think I'm stumped because I don't do many two tier cakes. I'm so used to putting the bulk of the design on the top of a one tier, that I don't know what to do with a two tier (never mind the fact that I don't really want to be doing a two tier this week, since I'm still getting over the flu).

I don't use fondant to cover cakes (but will use it for accents) so the stripes are out. Also can't do buttercream roses, so that's out. Hmmm . . . not sure what I'll end up with.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 6

Fresh flowers so you only have to ice the cakes and put the flowers on top?

What about chocolate dipped strawberries a mixture of dark, milk and white. You could put a pile of them on the top and have a few of them spilling down onto the bottom tier and one or two on the cake board?

Or use inspiration from your previous cakes, your vintage teacup and mirror one is really pretty. Since you dont want to have it too labour intensive just do the flowers and piping border around the bottom of both cakes and put the flowers on top (space out the flowers around the bottom of the cakes to make them go further!)

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%