Question About Filling A Cake

Decorating By dixiedarlin79 Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 11:05am by pattycakesnj

dixiedarlin79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiedarlin79 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 8

Do you always have to use a dam when you fill a cake? I was thinking of using a thicker consistency dulce de leche filling and wondered if it would still "squish" out the sides. icon_confused.gif

7 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 8

I always use a dam . Im fairly new to this bit I think better safe than sorry !

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 8

yes, you would still need the dam.

MeggyCakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggyCakes27 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

Can the dam be made with the same icing your going to use as the filing?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 8

If bc is your filling you don't need a dam. If the filling is anything else then yes you need a dam.

MeggyCakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggyCakes27 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 8

Im making a cake soon and will be filling and crumb coating with store bought cream cheese icing, any tips? I'm just starting but this will be a smaller cake so im using store bought icing. TIA icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:07am
post #7 of 8

Store bought frosting's are extremely soft. You might want to mix in some powdered sugar to stiffen it up a little. At least enough of the frosting for the dam. I personally don't like store frosting. I made cupcakes for a co worker last week and he loves the vanilla frosting with rainbow pieces. It was a pain to work with. I couldn't even get the stuff to hold a shape when I tried to pipe. I finally gave him the cupcakes and the tub of frosting and told him that it was a self serve cupcake.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:05am
post #8 of 8

If you filling is the same as your frosting, you don't need a dam. For instance, if you are filling with ganache and covering the cake with ganache too, you don't need a dam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%