Fondarific Or Satin Ice

Decorating By walterak Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm by Kitagrl

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a cake for a friend in April and I do not want to make MMF this time. I was looking at Fondarific Wedding White or Satin Ice. Any suggestions? Are they fairly easy to work with? I mean...is it similar to work with MMF?

6 replies
walterak Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:56am
post #2 of 7

Anyone? I just want to know what its like to work with them. If it is similar to MMF. I know none of it is easy so that is not what I meant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #3 of 7

I highly recommend FondX actually..... and I think its probably the most similar to MMF as far as being soft and easy to work with, and also has a good flavor.

I think Satin Ice has changed their recipe and I no longer like working with their fondant. Fondarific is nice, but you have to microwave it a little before kneading, and it also has a higher fat content so its a little more smooth than other fondant but does not take airbrushing as well (which is fine if you don't airbrush, but I don't like it for everyday use).

I love FondX.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:09am
post #4 of 7

I avoid Satin Ice like the plague. It rips and tears far too easily and has a funky flavor. I like mixing equal portions of Wilton (for GREAT workability) with modeling chocolate. The chocolate give the fondant great flavor and you get the ONE thing Wilton got right - fondant that's easy to use and doesn't rip and tear at every turn. thumbs_up.gif

Fondarific tastes great, but I find that it's SO hard in the containers that you have to nuke it a bit then it gets too soft. I, too, like FondX. Probably my favorite if going with just straight fondant.

Fondantlover97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fondantlover97 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

It's completely ur personal opinion experiment with both of them before u start if ur completely unfamiliar with both I prefer satin ice for larger cakes cuz I dont think it dries out as fast another good choice if u r able to get it is fondex but u usually hav to buy it from a major supplier or directly from the maker on very large quantities but if u only use one piece of advice I give u do NOT use Wilton brand it dries out and cracks in about five seconds after u open it if u hav any other questions my username is fondantlover97 good luck!

walterak Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:40am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much. I think I will try the fondx. The cake is a 14" 10" 6" square. Do you think 10 lbs is enough? I found sites that sell it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak

Thank you so much. I think I will try the fondx. The cake is a 14" 10" 6" square. Do you think 10 lbs is enough? I found sites that sell it.

Yes that should be enough...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%