Is Poundcake Covered In Fondant Best Refridgerated..

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 1:08pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a 3D Shark head this week...I am making Butter Vanilla pound cake so it is sturdy enough to carve..My questions are these.

Will poundcake dry out if refridgerated? even with BC and fondant ontop? I seriously don't want dry cake underneath...Should I maybe brush a simple syrup between each layer? will it moisten the cake too much..I don't want a soggy cake either.

I usually refridgerate my fondant cakes but the fondant becomes very hard like.I'm scared if I leave the cake at room temp (Which here would be very warm inside as it has been very cold here this winter..like -30) I'm scared the cake will become to warm and droop or not be stable.

Can someon explain the reasoning behind cold vs room temp fondant cakes...

How can you tell I don't do alot of fondant cakes.... icon_redface.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:30am
post #2 of 3

I hope my limited experience can help!

All I make is pound cakes, mostly fondant covered, and the cake itself is fine once it warms up a little out of the fridge.

I don't fridge my fondant cakes because I live in an area of fairly high humidity, and I find the condensation on a cold cake makes the fondant sticky. I believe people who live in drier areas don't have the same problems. Air conditioning is great though, because it dries the air out. I only use ganache under fondant, which holds its shape very well, even in warm weather.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks mcaulir....That is exactly what I was wanting to know..It is very cold and dry here in Alberta...My skin is like an alligater so humidity is not an issue...Can you make a white chocolate ganache? The cake is butter vanilla so I don't think they want dark choclate...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%