350 Cupcakes! Help!

Baking By jlcakes Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm by lilsis

jlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcakes Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

I am making 350 cupcakes for my brother's wedding.

How far in advance can I make them?
Best way to freeze cupcakes?
Best way to transport?
Any tips?

THANKS!

8 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 9

When I freeze cupcakes, I just put them in a double layer gallon size ziploc freezer bag and squeeze out all the air. Keep them flat, in a single layer until they are frozen, then you can stack them. Single layer to defrost.

You can freeze cake for 3 months without losing anything from it.

Transport in cake boxes with a liner. You can buy them at the craft store or at walmart.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 9

And by liner, I'm sure 2508s42 means those non-slip liners that they make shelf coverings and place mats out of. Those are the best thing since sliced bread! I buy them by the barrel (well, not really, because they don't sell them like that, but you know what I mean). Nothing moves anywhere on that stuff, from the RI flowers that I just made and am taking home to dry to the biggest cake I've ever had to transport.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:28am
post #4 of 9

Hey JL!
I did 400 last October. I did them all in a week and I did freeze them as I was doing them. I iced them all with the help of my mother the afternoon before. The cupcakes were then transported 2.5 hours as well as 400 cake truffels. I usually use pink "cardboard" type cupcake boxes with the inserts but I have to say, to transport I am not thrilled with those as sometimes the cupcakes tumble out of them or bump each other on bad roads so since this was such an important event I actually paid a little more for the clear plastic cupcake containers just for these cupcakes (each held 12). I had gotten brown corrugated boxes from my grocery store (I think bagels came in them)and it just so happened that two or three cupcake boxes fit just right then I stacked two or three on top of those and maybe two or three again. They all were tight and traveled well. (This was the set up with the green apples). Hope that helps. Best of luck to you.
Suzi

jlcakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:21am
post #5 of 9

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I feel far more confident about it now icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:52am
post #6 of 9

I made 350 cuppies for a wedding in Jan. I made them, filled them and iced them all in one day. I transported them in sheet cake boxes, each box held 70. They were all the same flavor, white, with a raspberry filling and a swirl of Sugarshack's BC on top. Don't think there's a need to freeze them if that can be avoided....not sure where I would've put them all icon_confused.gif Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:14am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

I made 350 cuppies for a wedding in Jan. I made them, filled them and iced them all in one day. I transported them in sheet cake boxes, each box held 70. They were all the same flavor, white, with a raspberry filling and a swirl of Sugarshack's BC on top. Don't think there's a need to freeze them if that can be avoided....not sure where I would've put them all icon_confused.gif Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

icon_eek.gif Are you Superwoman?

jlcakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 9

Kellbella- how long did the baking and decorating take you? That is amazing to do it all in one day! Was it stressful? Do you have more than one oven?

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 9

I made 350 a couple of years ago .... baked one day....frosted the next.....delivered to the church for them to take to reception in boxes purchased from Sams Club --- sheet cake size with cupcake inserts .... made it a lot easier to transport!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%